Pages

Monday, March 18, 2024

52 Recipes in 52 Weeks #7 and #8

One of my projects for 2024 is to try one new recipe each week for the year.  These will be chosen from all of the flagged pages in cookbooks that I have or from the file of 'need to try' recipes.  I will try new desserts, main dishes, side dishes and breads.



This is one of my favorite cookbooks that I've had for years.  It is filled with vegetarian and vegan recipes.  We were having beef tips, so I wanted a potato dish and I found Stuffed Baked Potatoes which sounded really good.

Stuffed Baked Potatoes #7

This makes 8 potato boats: serves 4 or 8 (I cut the recipe in half and used 2 potatoes)

"This recipe is very flexible.  If you don't have buttermilk, just use regular milk.  If you prefer a less tangy flavor, use only milk and not yogurt or buttermilk.  If you don't have fresh dill, use 1 teaspoon dried dill seed.  For a slightly smoother flavor, you may want to stir in 1 tablespoon of butter."

4 medium baking potatoes
1/2 Cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
1/2 Cup buttermilk
3 Tablespoons finely chopped green onions
2 Tablespoons fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F, 
Scrub potatoes and bake for 1 hour or until tender.
Cut baked potatoes in half lengthwise.  Leave 1/8 inch in the shell, scoop the potato into a mixing bowl.
Mash with a fork or potato masher, then stir in the remaining ingredients.
Spoon the mashed potato mixture back into the potato skins.  Return to oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.

These were really good and went really well with the steak tips and asparagus.  I would make these again.

I found the next new to me recipe in this book. (Along with MANY others I can't wait to try).


Green Goddess Dressing #8

1 Cup baby spinach
1 close of garlic (I used two)
1 tsp. onion powder (I used granulated)
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
1/3 Cup mayo or Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Cup fresh mixed herbs (I used basil, parsley and a bit of dried oregano)

Mix in the blender until creamy.

We've had GGD many times over the years at friends or restaurants, but I've never made it at home.
This was really delicious over a BIG salad.  I will be making this again when I have more of a variety of fresh herbs later this Spring.


29 comments:

  1. I am going to be making that salad. It sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making stuffed baked potatoes in jr high home ec class and was obsessed! Did not understand why my mother never made them🤣. They are a bit of work, but soooo good. I always add shredded cheddar to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That is awesome! My mom never made them either. They are a bit more work than a regular baked potato but definitely worth it. I thought about adding shredded cheddar but decided to follow the recipe. If I make them again, they will definitely include cheddar cheese.

      Delete
  3. Both recipes sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm both potatoes and dressing sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Potato skins were one of my favorite things in the world until my diagnosis. I dearly miss them, especially with ranch dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would miss potatoes dearly if I had to give them up also.

      Delete
  6. Green goddess dressing! I miss having it. Mayo is no allowed in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both recipes sound really good. I've never had Green Goddess dressing before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. I remember trying it for the first time at a Thanksgiving dinner and loved it.

      Delete
  8. Oh that second recipe looks lovely. As for the potatoes, I made virtually the same thing for our last board game evening (although oddly enough the French don't eat the skin - potato skins anyone)??? But these went down a treat and those that were left all went home with willing victims!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are good recipes. I didn't know that the French typically do not eat the skins. Interesting. Glad to hear your potatoes were a success as well.

      Delete
  9. I am definitely going to try that Green Goddess dressing! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The green goddess dressing sounds really delicious and you can't go wrong with a stuffed potato. I like your idea to try a new recipe every week. I seem to collect recipes but often never make them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judee, they were both really good. Especially the dressing. I'm really focusing on using Greek Yogurt instead of mayo or sour cream. I'm having fun. I too have a LOT of recipes collected and I figured I need to get some of them made.

      Delete
  11. Hi Lori~ I think it's such a good idea to try something new every week! The recipes you posted sound so delicious, I can't wait to try the potatoes... after all I do live in Idaho!! Tonight we are trying a new recipe for, maple apple, bacon and blue cheese pizza. I'll post it if it's a good one! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb. There are so many different things I want to try, I figured I better get started. That pizza sounds amazing. Be sure and let us know how it turns out.

      Delete
  12. Back in our vego days, we used to eat these regularly but we haven't for years. I like the sound of the dressing and the tangy herby filling. Yay for spuds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both recipes are really good. You can't really go wrong with potatoes can you?

      Delete
  13. WOW those potatoes sound scrumptious!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete