Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2021

My week

I woke up around 6 this morning. It was just starting to get light.  The blue sky was gorgeous against the new dusting of snow and the sliver of moon was shining bright. It was 4 degrees.  This entire week is going to be COLD thanks to a polar vortex.  It is winter though.

The work week was a little rocky.  By Friday I was SO thankful it was over.  Saturday morning we ventured to the grocery store.  We could have just made a quick trip for veggies but looking at next Saturday's forecast of -4 I decided we needed to do it now.  The store was a lot busier than normal, I'm sure because of the super bowl and the coming weather.  Today I am going to do my usual Sunday cleaning, food prep and laundry.  I want to be as ready as I can for the rough week ahead.  

We watched Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix which was a really good movie.  While cooking each night, I watched/listened to various cooking shows.  Thursday I had my fix of the one trash TV show I watch Southern Charm on Bravo.

Kristen Hannah is one of my favorite authors.  I have read all of her books. Some are better than others but in my opinion The Great Alone and Winter Garden are my favorites.  Her newest novel, The Four Winds was released Tuesday.  It arrived Thursday and I can't wait to start reading it.

This weeks dinners were:

Sunday- Stuffed shells, salad, bread

Monday- Beef bone broth with Thai noodles.  Our local butcher sells beef soup bones for a really good price.  I had one in the freezer so once it thawed I seared both sides in the caste iron skillet then put it in the crockpot with celery, carrots, onion and garlic.  Then I added about 7 cups of water and cooked on low until late Monday afternoon.  I pulled the pieces of beef out and strained the broth. I sauteed garlic, ginger, onion and mushrooms, splash of tamari and then added the beef.  Added the mixture to the broth, sprinkled in cumin, turmeric, coriander, red pepper flakes and let simmer for about 30 minutes.  Add the Thai or any noodle you choose, simmer for another 10 minutes.  This was one of those wing it dinners turned out really good.


Tuesday-Chicken legs, baked potato and salad.

Wednesday- Chicken (left over), cabbage, carrot and ginger egg rolls with green onion, cream cheese in an egg roll wrap. I sliced up 1/2 head of cabbage, one carrot and one nub of ginger. Shredded the left over chicken from Monday.  Cooked the veggies, added red pepper flakes, tamari and a splash of fish sauce. When the cabbage softens, add the chicken.   Cook for about 5 minutes.  Let cool and then assemble the egg rolls.  Then I just mixed green onion with cream cheese and spread on two egg roll wraps and rolled.  Then fry or bake. 



Thursday- Beef and bean chili
Friday- Mushroom, green pepper, pepperoni and red onion pizza.

Saturday- Beef sausage stir fry with spicy rice and a cheese roll up.


What was your week like?

10 comments:

  1. My made a pasta bake from the NYT; it came out fair. It has several deficits. I had to remind myself it was a first time, and when I make it again it will be much better.
    Later this week I have a costco chicken carcass to use. I think chicken soup with rice as I've not made any ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken soup with rice sounds good. I think we will have a few soups this week.

      Delete
  2. That is ridiculously cold Lori! I couldn't take cold like that. Glad you got your shopping done before it gets even colder. All of your food looks so good. I can only imagine how delicious the Beef bone broth with Thai noodles was - yum! I hope the upcoming work week is better than last week. Bundle up and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get that cold very often but it does happen. It's all part of living in the Midwest. I hope you have a good week too!! Don't over do it.

      Delete
  3. Oooh! I love yesterday's meal there. That's why I'm looking forward to doing "one pot" towards the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was good. Can't wait to hear about your one pot meal.

      Delete
  4. Hello! We are expecting cold here in Pennsylvania, but not quite that cold. I also do some laundry and prep for the week on Sundays.Your meals sound and look delicious.Have a cozy week, and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We don't get this cold very often but it is here for the week. I hope you have a great week as well.

      Delete
  5. All your food looks so good. I have not made eggrolls for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We don't have them very often but I had left over chicken so thought it would be good and it was.

      Delete