Pages

Friday, May 14, 2021

Cookbooks

I have a HUGE cookbook collection.  This is the first cookbook I bought for myself.  I had to be about 19 or 20 years old.  It talked me through the basics of learning to cook on my own.  I had always 'helped' my Grandmother in the kitchen but being out on your own without someone to watch over you is a learning curve.


This book has the recipe for banana bread that I have used ever since.  I've tried a number of other recipes but for some reason I always go back to this one.  The bread comes out super moist and the banana flavor is just right. I either use walnuts or pecans when I make it.





Do you have an old favorite recipe that you continue to make?

12 comments:

  1. I think that was the first cookbook I ever bought myself too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody trusted Betty Crocker back then.

      Delete
  2. Everything I cook is fouthe on the Internet. Once I get settled in my new place I might buy a few cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Joy of Cooking and The Food Lab are the two best books in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. About a year ago (longer?) I gathered up all my favorite recipes and put them all into my own, so they are in one collection.
    I love my cookbook collection but often feel bad I so seldom use them. I always make a vow to 'use them' not just go to online convenience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a book that I write all of my favorite recipes in and then if I find one in a cookbook I write the name of the book, recipe and page number so I can find it quickly. I love my collection too. Sometimes I just randomly pick one and flip through looking for hidden jems.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes those old cookbooks are so dated, but other times they can't be beat. Sounds like this banana bread is the latter case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the banana bread is a classic. Some of the old recipes are just down right bad.

      Delete
  5. A well used cookbook, is a treasure.

    Ours is a Fanny Farmer one, we got when we were married. 62 years ago. You can imagine how well used that is, after all these years!!!!! -smile- And also, it is falling apart!

    Just pausing my "Blog Pause",
    for tiny bit...
    🌿🌼🌿💛🌿🌼🌿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you've been enjoying your time away from blogging. I have Fanny Farmer too. Some of these old books are treasures.

      Delete
  6. Guess you post once a week. Which is fine. -smile-

    🌿🌼🌿"Blogs are little First Amendment machines.🌿🌼🌿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually two or three times but I didn't make it this week. I will be posting another soon. Thanks for checking in.

      Delete