Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2022

BIG salads


I've had a couple people ask what I mean when I write BIG salad on the menu.  We typically have one or two BIG salads a week for dinner with small side salads with other meals.

BIG salads for me change with the seasons.

Above is an example of a summertime version.  This had lettuce and arugula, cucumber and radishes from the garden. Cherry tomatoes from my friend and sliced red onions with a hard-boiled egg and a sliced fried chicken breast between the two of us.

The goal of it is to pack as many veggies on the plate as possible.  

In the winter they will include a lot of carrots, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, Bok choy, cabbage. Any veggie that is tasty raw and in season is used.  

I'm going back to growing sprouts because I love what they add to a salad. 

Sometimes I add cheese sometimes I don't. They do not always include meat but if they do it is typically chicken or on the rare occasion we have ham I will slice it and add.  I always make my own dressing.  We seem to go between creamy Italian, honey mustard and ranch but I love trying new ideas to give a lot of flavors.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Saturday!!


10 comments:

  1. That was Elaine's order on Seinfeld - The Big Salad. If I had all the prep ready, I'd eat a big salad daily in the summer. How was your Chicago trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had totally forgotten about Elaine's Big Salad. The trip is at the end of July. We're looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious!!!!

    And such a healthy idea.

    🍓 🍓 🍓 🍓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good way to intake a lot of veggies.

      Delete
  3. Looks really yummy!! We make something similar but call it a chef salad. It is so easy to put together and great for when the weather is hot outside! You too, Lori, have a great weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly ever make it the same way twice. I just throw in what we have that will work together. Stay cool my friend!!

      Delete
  4. Love a Big Salad!!! And you gave me some new ideas! Thanks a bunch, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I would eat big salads all the time if I could.

    ReplyDelete