Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2022

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind: 

Herbs that are going crazy. Today I need to make basil pesto and more arugula pesto.  I will be picking rosemary, mint, basil and oregano to dehydrate.  The rosemary is 4 years old and planted in the yard.  All of the other herbs are growing in large pots.  I'm still planning my raised bed herb garden for next spring.  I know where I want it but I need to really think about how big I want it.  I grow a lot of herbs.

Where I've been: 

I picked up two library books that I had requested. I don't know if other states do this but if you request a book that they do not have, they request it from another library in the system and it is shipped to them, and you'll have it in two or three days.  I think that is amazing. I also stopped by the farmer market which was bursting with goodness.  Other than that, it's been work or home for me.

Where I'm going:

The museum in Springfield has been working on a Generation X exhibition opening in October.  I'm really hoping the Covid, Monkey Pox and any other virus that may pop up is low then because I really want to go.

What I'm watching: 

I haven't watched anything notable this week.

What I'm reading: 

The Kitchen Whisperers by Dorothy Kalins.  I am loving this book so far.

What I'm listening to: 

I'm still striving for peace and quiet every chance I can get.

What I'm eating: 


Banana Pudding!  A wonderful summer dessert.
BIG salad x2
Chicken sausage, veggie pizza


Cheeseburger and zucchini fries
Chicken and veggie egg rolls with rice
Manicotti and garlic cheese biscuits (I shredded a medium zucchini and put it in the ricotta, cheese filling. I have a LOT of zucchinis and it was tasty and add vitamins)


I'm not sure what we're having tonight, but it will include fried patty pan squash.  It's my first time making it and the woman at the market promised we'd love it.  I'll let you know.


Who needs a good slap:

Lowes.  On July 2 we picked the door, which was in stock, and paid the deposit for the installer to come out and measure to make sure it was the right door.  Three days later the installer came out, measured and called Lowes to tell them yes, the door was right.  Lowes called us to come and pay the remainder and it would be installed.  We paid but haven't heard anything since.  We tried to call the store and either got hung up on or were put on hold.  So, Friday afternoon the big guy went to the store.  No one knew where the door was or who the installer was and he was furious.  A store employee that he wasn't even talking to walked by him and gave him a toll-free number to call.  I called and it was the new store manager.  She listened to my concerns, looked at our account and said she would make sure this was taken care of by Tuesday.  She said she is working to get the store up to par and to please give her a chance.  So today I'm giving Lowes two slaps, if I don't have the door by Friday, they will get 5 slaps and I'm going to get our money back and go somewhere else.

What I'm planning:

 I've started my fall planting plan and my list of everything that needs done outside before winter.  Yes, it will be here before we know it.

What's making me smile:

 For the last three or four years we've had yearly trouble with our H Vac system. Wednesday evening I noticed it was leaking.  It was 10 minutes until 5pm so I called our favorite local guy.  He said to turn it off, shop vac the water up and he would be out the next morning.  At 8:30 he was here.  Long story short, he was able to get it working without leaking, but we made the decision to go ahead and replace it. It is a high-end unit that was installed in 2006. Because it does both heat and air he explained you have to double the age because it does double the work.  This is a smile because even though pricey, it was about $3000.00 less than I imagined, it will lower our monthly bill, he charged us nothing for the work he did and it will have a 15-year warranty on everything.  The owner of this company is meticulous with his work and it will be done Wednesday.  So I'm choosing to look at the bright side of this and smile.

I hope everyone stays cool and has a wonderful Sunday!!

13 comments:

  1. Lori, I would love to see a photo of your herbs in the pots. I've got herbs in pots and they are not flourishing like yours. Maybe my pots are too small. I get enough to use daily plus a little more. Do you add any food to your plants? I also got patty pan squash and plan to stuff it and bake it. Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a few pictures and post. In yesterday's post I did show one of the pots of basil, lettuce and oregano. When I plant in the Spring I put eggshells in the bottom of the pots and use good quality seeds. Other than that they do all the work. Mine get full morning and early afternoon sun. By around 3 they are in the shade. Are they maybe getting too much hot afternoon sun?

      Delete
  2. It sounds like overall you had a good week, but I'm sorry to hear about what's going on at Lowe's. At least it sounds like they know they're screwing up and taking measures to improve things. Some companies -- and people -- out there just don't care anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall, yes it was good. It could always be worse and I defiantly have 1st world problems.
      It seems like service is very hit or miss. I'm patient and understanding until I hear employees simply say "I don't know or Not my department". I'm the type of person that if I don't know I will make all effort to find out and I expect that when I'm buying something from your company.
      Hope you were approved for your 3 day weekend and that you enjoy!!

      Delete
  3. What a great bargain for the HVAC unit! Here because of the heat they raise the prices on them during summer so if one needs one they always recommend to get it on the off season. I do hope you get that door this week! I agree with you though. If they can't deliver when promised, time to take the business elsewhere! It is fun to read about what you are doing with your planting and then of course your harvesting. I bet it smells so good with all the herbs! Delicious food too as always! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and may the week ahead be a good one!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still expensive but not as bad as I had thought it would be and it will just be a relief to get it done and under warranty.
      Yesterday I dried mint, rosemary, oregano and made basil pesto. The scent of the basil pesto took over and was heavenly.
      I hope you have a wonderful week Betty!!

      Delete
  4. Herbs grow like weeds; I used to grow them in pens to keep them at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure don't blame you for wanting to give Lowes a slap or two! How frustrating to pay for a door or a service and not receive it! All your food looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanette. If it's not taken care of by tomorrow, we'll get a refund and head to Menards.

      Delete
  6. Ugh Lowes! There is no excuse for that! I hope you don't have to give them five slaps and get your money back on Friday, but instead will be looking out of your new door. Sorry about your HVAC system ... we had to get a new one in 2016. It's no fun but once it's done, it's nice to know that you're covered for the foreseeable future! Your herb gardens sound so heavenly ... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone from Lowes called yesterday and will be here to install the door on Thursday. So fingers crossed we'll be finished with them.
      I'm looking at the positives of the new HVAC system. It will be nice to have it under warranty for a number of years.
      Have a great week Jenny!!

      Delete
  7. Yum. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete