Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2022

My Weekly W's

I can't believe we're already halfway through October.  I feel like I was just getting ready for Fall a minute ago. 

What's top of my mind: Getting ready for winter.  Yesterday we cleared everything out of the garden.  I washed all of the pots and got them put in the shed.  We cleaned up the front porch and the back patio along with the garage.  It actually only took about two hours for the two of us to get it all done so I'm not sure why I've dreaded it but I'm happy it is done before it gets colder this week. The fall foliage is really starting to pop.  I think the peak will be in a week or two.  It's just gorgeous. 

Where I've been: Other than working all week, I had a dentist appointment on Monday. I have to go back in November to fix a filling that is apparently loose. Saturday, we went to the Amish Cafe for a donut and hot chocolate before running to the store for a few things.  

Where I'm going: Hopefully my new glasses will be ready this week and I can pick them up. Wednesday is our monthly date night and we're going to try out a new Mexican place.  I'm hoping it is as good as the one that it replaced. Other than that, and work, we have no plans yet.

What I'm watching: I don't think I've ever mentioned this before but the big guy and I watch/play Jeopardy every afternoon. We've done this for years.  It's a nice 30-minute break in the day for us to use our brains a little and compete against each other.  lol

What I'm reading: I picked up a couple of books from the library last weekend.  The one I'm reading now is The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna.  I haven't read any of her books, but I am really enjoying this one and plan to check out some of her other books.

What I'm listening to: I listened to a few videos by Jackson Galaxy.  Binx is a biter and we have got to get this under control before he gets any bigger. For some reason he only bites me.  We've never had a biter and I really don't know what to do or what I'm doing wrong.  His appointment to get neutered is in November and I am really hoping that is also going to help calm him down.  It's frustrating because other than this, he is a perfect cat. 

What I'm eating:


Sirloin steak, garlic smashed red potatoes, salad and Texas toast
Roasted chicken, mac and cheese, green beans
BLT and zucchini chips (This was the official last one of the year because I used my last fresh tomato.)


White chicken chili and cornbread x 2 with more for the freezer
Pepperoni, green pepper, red onion and mushroom pizza with a small salad.

Who needs a good slap:  No one is coming to mind right now.  I know with everything going on in the world today there are a LOT of people that deserve it but no one specific comes to mind.

What I'm planning: I'm planning on finishing my book and relaxing today along with digging through my recipe/cookbooks for a new to me soup recipe.  Tuesday and Wednesday are both supposed to be pretty chili so that will be a good time for a pot of soup.

What's making me smile:  Years ago I had a small tree and all the decorations for each holiday/season that I used to have out.  I don't remember what made me stop but while trying to decide it I just wanted to get rid of it all or not I decided to do the Fall/Halloween decorations.  I'm really liking having it out again.  It just gives a nod to the season and makes me smile.


I hope everyone stays safe and has a wonderful week!

22 comments:

  1. I used to always enjoy watching Jeopardy, even as a youth. I never got the answers right (or rarely) but it was and continues to be a knowledgeable show. That is a cute holiday tree! I bet it is just a little sad when you take down the garden for another year, but the way time seems to be flying, soon you'll be starting another one :) Hope you can figure out why Binx is a biter. Let's hope neutering "nips" it in the bud so to speak! You too have a great week ahead, Lori!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile to get over Alex Trebek not being the host but we still enjoy it. It is sad every year when we clean everything out and see the emptiness that so recently was full and gorgeous. Everything has a season though. I do hope neutering nips it in the bud. He has so much energy I think he's just restless no matter how much we play with him or how much he runs on his own. We'll get it figured out. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead Betty!

      Delete
  2. I am dreading the emptying of pots and garden clean up. We always wait till after Halloween. I hate to get rid of our beautiful zinnias and marigolds. I love your Fall tree. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to wait until after Halloween also but the weather here is so unpredictable, and I hate doing it in the cold. Thanks on the tree, I'm glad I kept it and decided to put it back in use.

      Delete
  3. Patience above! I don't think I've ever seen Jeaopardy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeopardy always made me feel a bit stupid...lol
    I haven't had white chicken chili in ages. I really like it. Maybe that will be the next pot of soup that I make.
    Love that little tree. I've been thinking I need a little one that can be used for different seasons/occasions. I love the light from a tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White chicken chili is one of my favorites. We eat it often during this time of year. I don't remember why I stopped decorating the little tree but I'm glad I didn't get rid of everything. I'm loving having it lit up in the evenings.

      Delete
  5. Oh we love Mexican food, hope the restaurant is good.
    I have never made chicken chilli, will give it a try this winter.
    I could think of a ton of people to slap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexican is one of our favorites also. I'm hoping it is close to the one that was there before that closed due to Covid. Chicken chili is good. I can think of people to slap as well I just couldn't narrow it down to one. lol

      Delete
  6. What is Torrie? That's my Jeopardy answer for who is a biter for $400.

    When Torrie does it, it's more of a "love bite" when she's overstimulated. If I pet her too much or for too long, I'll get a playful nip. She never breaks the skin and it doesn't hurt, but I understand what it means with her. Is Binx doing something like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...No it seems Binx bites when he isn't getting the attention he feels he deserves and he bites hard breaking the skin. From everything I've read I calmly say NO and walk away ignoring him for a few minutes to make him realize that is not the proper way to get attention. I've learned the warning signs and have been able to redirect his attention before the bite by throwing a toy or playing with a toy with him. Poor guy is filled to the brim with testosterone. He just has SO much energy.

      Delete
  7. Getting yard ready for winter... all we have to do is pull out some potted flowers but should do it, or have grands next door do it for us.

    Cute sounding book.

    mmmm, do a seach on stopping a cat from biting. you really need to do it quickly. which of course you know. not want to wait for the neutering....

    πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd vote for having the grands next door do it. It's cold here today with only a high of 46 degrees. It was a cute book, not spooky, but a fun read. I've done a lot of searching on line and we're doing what most suggested and it seems to be helping. Knowing what to look for and redirecting him before it happens seems to be working.

      Delete
  8. Would you believe I have been watching The Price Is Right with Bob Barker? It plays on Pluto TV, which is free!!! I am obsessed with it as I watched it growing up. My kids get a kick out of the "old " cars!!! Your food always looks amazing! Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember watching The Price is Right anytime I was home from school. I bet the old shows from our childhood are funny to your kids. Have a great week Billie Jo.

      Delete
  9. We enjoy Jeopardy too! I miss Alex though : (
    Your little tree is darling. That would make me smile too! Have a cozy week Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a bit different without Alex. Thanks on the tree, I'm glad I kept it.

      Delete
  10. My husband and I watch Jeopardy every night at 7:30. We both get annoyed when someone wins too many times in a row! It's different without Alex but I like the current hosts, too. This weekend it's supposed to get into the 70's and that's when I'll probably get my Fall cleaning done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Alex too but yes the new hosts are doing well. It's supposed to get in the 70's here as well

      Delete
  11. Eventhough we spend the winter in Florida, we still need to put everything away for winter before we leave. It's my husband's job. I just have to complete my patio herb garden. My mother - in - law watched jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune every night starting at 7:00 pm when she lived with us for the winter in Florida. We always watched it with her. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you arrived safely to Florida. Enjoy!!

      Delete