Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Red Beans and Rice

1 lb. dry red beans soaked overnight or two cans of red beans...for either, drain and rinse well
2 Tbs. olive or avocado oil
14 oz. sausage I always use a beef or chicken sausage but Andouille would be great
1 yellow onion, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced or you can use green bell pepper
3 ribs celery, diced
4 coves of garlic
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. garlic
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or smoked cayenne
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
5 Cups water

Over medium heat, sauté the sausage and set aside.
In the same pot, sauté onion, pepper, celery and garlic 
Add the spices and stir
Add the sausage and stir
Add the beans
Add the water and let it come to a boil then turn down to medium.  Let it cook for an hour stirring occasionally.

Serve over white rice and top with diced green onions.

Monday was a cold, windy day so this really hit the spot for dinner.  I served it with cornbread.












21 comments:

  1. Another winning comfort food. Thanks Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy! It sure has been chilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been chilly here too. Lows in the 20's with highs in the 40's. Now I see this weekend is supposed to be a high of 80. Crazy weather.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really delicious! Comfort food I would call it! I printed out the recipe and will make it this winter. Yum with the cornbread too! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us, Lori!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is comfort food to me also. It's been a really chilly week here and comfort food was needed. Hope you're doing well Betty.

      Delete
  4. Oh my God that sounds so good, and I haven't had breakfast yet. I think I know what I need to put on my shopping list for this weekend. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never had this.... It's a great meat-less meal with necessary protein.

    🍁🌰🌻🍂🎃🍂🌻🌰🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it with beef sausage but yes, it could easily be meatless and delicious.

      Delete
  6. I love simple meals like this ! Sounds delicious, healthy, and frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for this as I love beans and rice. Glad to be back I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed you too. Glad you had a nice vacation.

      Delete
  8. I can't do the sausage, so this meal wouldn't work for me; but I do like simple and easy to prepare meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made it without the sausage and it is just as tasty.

      Delete
  9. Yum! We love red beans and rice, so will have to try your recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

      Delete