Pages

Friday, April 21, 2023

Cauliflower Shawarma

I absolutely love the cookbook Israeli Soul by Michael Solomonov and Steven Cook.  It is filled with gorgeous photos and information on the area making it part travel guide, but also filled with amazing recipes for some of my favorite dishes, breads and spice blends.



I tried the Cauliflower Shawarma and it is a deeply satisfying meatless meal that even the big guy enjoyed.

Brine for the cauliflower:

2 quarts water
2 cups kosher salt
2 tablespoons of Shawarma spice mix (recipe below)
1 head of cauliflower

Shawarma spice mix for vegetables:

1/4 cup turmeric
1/4 cup cumin
1/4 cup cinnamon 
1 tablespoon of allspice
1 tablespoon of black pepper
Mix well.  Makes about 1 cup of spice blend.

Mix together the water, salt and 1 tablespoon of the Shawarma spice in a large pot.  Warm over medium heat, whisking often, until the salt is fully dissolved.  Let the mixture cool completely.  Brine the cauliflower in the spiced water for two hours at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Add 2 tablespoons of a neutral oil to the remaining spice blend and stir well to form a paste.  Remove cauliflower from the brine and pat dry then rub most of the spice paste over it, saving a spoonful for searing if you like.  Transfer the cauliflower to sheet pan and roast for 45 minutes or until browned and tender.

Remove the cauliflower from the oven, let it cool a little, then carve and serve.  Or cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets, transfer to a large bowl, add the remaining spice paste and toss well.  Sear the florets in a very hot cast-iron pan for 3 to 4 minutes until nicely charred.

I actually did this on the charcoal grill.  I got the grill up to 450 degrees and placed the sheet pan on it and it took about 40 minutes this way.  Then I finished up in a cast-iron pan also on the grill.  

We ate this with Basmati rice and mountain bread.  The cauliflower is filled with warm spices and is tender with some of the char that gives it extra flavor.  I had a bit left over and heated it up in the Ninja on the reheat setting and it was just as good the second day.

It seems like every time I try a new to me recipe I get so involved that I forget to take a picture.  This is the picture from the book.



17 comments:

  1. Getting lost in the fun and forgetting to take pictures is something that I relate to. I love it. Not everything needs to be on film. Sometimes it's just fun to boogie in the kitchen, make food and enjoy the quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking is my stress reliever and I do get lost in the moment frequently. It's nice to know I'm not alone in that.

      Delete
    2. It's great fun to play in the kitchen!

      Delete
  2. Yum! That does sound good! Maybe my meat and potatoes guys would like it too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found cauliflower and portabella mushrooms will satisfy my meat loving husband.

      Delete
  3. Ooohhhh thank you so much for posting this! I've never been a great fan of cauliflower - that is until I made Thrifty Leslie's cauliflower soup and loved it I'll certainly give this one a try. Gosh, between you and Anne over at New Happenings I'm going to have my work cut out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only enjoy cauliflower if it's in a soup, roasted or grilled. I saw Anne's recipe and I will be giving that a try too. It sounds good.

      Delete
  4. Trying new recipes was something I could never do with my husband. He was such a picky eater. I would try something like this but he never would have...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad mine isn't too picky. I do always tell him there is cereal as a backup if he really hates what I try. So far, he hasn't eaten cereal. lol

      Delete
  5. That's so interesting. I had no idea you could brine cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does get the spice mix all the way through.

      Delete
  6. It's so easy to get lost in the fun of cooking, isn't it? You're making me wonder if this could also be booked in the air fryer as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could absolutely be done in the air fryer. I cooked the buffalo 'chicken' cauliflower in the air fryer and it was delicious. I think I set it for 15 minutes but not positive.

      Delete
  7. I doubt I will try it but WOW that looks and sounds delicious ... and ten style points for trying something completely new to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really was delicious and pretty simple to make. The big guy even approved.

    ReplyDelete