Pages

Sunday, April 16, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind: Honestly, right now, there isn't much on my mind.  Sundays are usually my day of semi rest and today I'm operating on chill mode.  I'm going to do some baking, food prep and cooking which is relaxing to me. It's also mani, pedi day.  Other than that, I'm just going to go with the flow and do what feels right at the time.

Where I've been: Thursday the big guy called me at work and asked if I wanted to meet him for lunch which is something he rarely does so I happily said YES and I'm glad I did.  That simple gesture and hour together was very comforting. The food was good too.  Saturday, I did a bit of food shopping and then hung out at home. Other than that, it was work and home.  I'm finding that the more time I have at home, the happier I am.

Where I'm going: Tuesday I have my six-month cleaning at the dentist. Saturday, we plan to make a trip to Lowes for a few things. That leaves the rest of the week free for whatever pops up.

What I'm watching: Nothing much.

What I'm reading: 

I loved Drew Barrymore in ET and I've seen a few other movies with her that I thought were cute but I really wouldn't consider myself a huge fan.  I picked this book up at the library having heard nothing much about it and I'm enjoying it.  She started the book in Spring of 2020 while the 'world was shut down'.

"Drew found her way in the kitchen, learned to cook, planted a garden, and raised her first chickens.  And, of course, how she learned to slow down, turn to nature as a teacher, always remembering to be humble and resent while celebrating the joys of her family and friends around the table, both during special occasions as well as amidst the beautiful chaos of everyday life."


I started this book as well.  Even though I've only read a couple of chapters, I think this will be a good read.

"Colorful details of the expat life in Jazz Age Paris, combined with the evocative story of the Hemmingways' romance, result in a compelling story that will undoubtedly establish McLain as a writer of substance.  Highly recommended for all readers of popular fiction."

What I'm listening to: Still keeping it quiet as much as possible.

What I'm eating:

Cauliflower shawarma, rice and naan
BIG salad x 2
Lunch was Cod fish and "chips' with a salad for the big guy and a Philly cheesesteak for me so we both had cereal for dinner.  



Lamb kabobs, Moroccan potatoes
Loaded baked potatoes. And I do mean loaded.  
Tonight, I'm roasting a chicken and I'm thinking pesto, parm. pasta  and asparagus.  

Who needs a good slap: I stayed away from the news this week and kept to my small circle so I have no slaps to hand out.

What I'm planning:  I'm thinking of building a spiral herb garden over the next couple of weeks.  I'm sure the big guy will grumble about one more thing to mow around but I think I can get him on board.  

What's making me smile: A couple that we are friends with had their kitchen redone.  They are originally from the Phillipines and enjoy a lot of international travel.  They both love to cook and recreate dishes they have had from around the world.  Look at the spice rack they had made!!  Is that not a thing of beauty?  I thought I had a huge collection of spices, but this makes mine look small.  I just can't help but smile at all of those gorgeous jars of spices.


That's all I have for today.  I do have a couple of new to me recipes that I've made over the last week or two and I promise to post them this week.  The cauliflower shawarma was amazing!  

Have a great week and stay safe and remember to make every day special!

 

27 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Drew Barrymore wrote a book and it sounds interesting! I actually wrote my cookbook (something I always wanted to do) during the height of Covid! I finally slowed down (not by choice) and took the time to spend hours each day, writing, looking for quotes, editing photos, experimenting with recipes etc. The Cauliflower shawarma sounds really good. Recipe? Such a nice surprise for a lunch date!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard about her book either. It does have a lot of really delicious recipes but it also talks about so much more. I think you would enjoy the book. That is awesome that you took that time to write your book. I had to work through the pandemic so I'm a bit jealous of those that truly got to shelter in place. I will definitely share the recipe this week for the cauliflower shawarma. It was delicious.

      Delete
  2. That is some spice rack. I don't even know that many spices!!!! LOL
    It sounds like a nice week for you. Smart girl staying away from new!!!
    Hoping you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pretty large spice rack but this one is HUGE. It was a good week and staying away from any news made it better. I hope you have a great week Cheryl.

      Delete
  3. Good Lord, that spice rack is bigger than the retail one at the market I shop at! I love the cod fish and chips. My mother used cod when she made fish every Friday, if I recall from way back when.

    I've learned to slow down during the past six months, and I'm enjoying it. Last night, I told my best friend I'm living the life. I wake up after 7am, write/edit in the mornings (and sometimes afternoons), and I get to play golf every day. Even if it's on a gaming console, it's still a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're right, it's bigger than the on at our grocery store also. I hadn't thought of that. Cod is a good fish choice. It's one of my favorites too.
      Even though I'm still working, I want to make it my mission to keep things simple and at a slower pace. It's easy to get caught up in the rat race and honestly, I want no part of that. I'm glad you've found a good balance for you. You deserve it!!

      Delete
  4. interessanti i consigli dei libri, ottimi i piatti proposti!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lunch date sounds lovely! I need to make more time for that myself.
    Wow on the spice rack!
    Looking forward to your cauliflower shawarma recipe. I do think that the skillet chicken shawarma that you shared a while back is one of my favorite recipes now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear someone try a recipe I post and enjoy it. The cauliflower shawarma was delicious. Making time for those simple joys is important.

      Delete
  6. That is a LOT of spices. I bet I’ve never even heard of some of them. I read The Paris Wife awhile ago and enjoyed it. The Barrymore book sounds interesting. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a large collection of spices but this is massive and I'm sure I haven't heard of some of them. I'm really enjoying both books. Wishing you an awesome week also.

      Delete
  7. I read The Paris Wife several years ago and if I recall correctly I really enjoyed it! That is one impressive spice rack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book has been on my list for a long time. The spice rack is impressive.

      Delete
  8. Oh to have fish and chips! My favorite! It's been a while. I like them well made no rubbish types.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m trying to remember if I read “The Paris Wife” or if I read another book about the same wife! I think I was in a book club that read it. And amazon says I bought it in 2012 — I love that they keep track of everything I ever ordered. So YES, I read it, and I remember liking it.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been on my to read list for a long time. I am enjoying it.

      Delete
  10. Wow, that is some spice rack.
    It's things like getting a lunch invite while you're at work that really can brighten a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did brighten my day. We'll have to do that a little more often.

      Delete
  11. Your menu sounds delicious. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. The cauliflower shawarma is delicious.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful! I'm fixin' do coat cauli for spicy air-fry florets!

      Delete
    3. Air fried would be perfect too.

      Delete
  13. I've been neutral on the subject of Drew Barrymore for all the many years that I've been aware of her existence, but that changed drastically when, about a month ago, she knelt at the feet of "Dylan Mulvaney" on her show. So she gets a slap from me for being a total idiot, and a hard pass from now on when it comes to anything she might say or do. Let's get real, people. Our children are being taught to normalize things that would rightly have been deemed outrageous as recently as five years ago. Let's stop lying to them and to one another. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to google who Dylan Mulvaney is. Yes, I live under a rock. lol

      Delete