Pages

Sunday, April 23, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind: 
Another item off my project list.  I started this last summer and I have finally completed my recipe binder that includes all of my favorite recipes, hand -written recipes from family and friends and a few other things, all organized and labeled.  I picked a really pretty Tiffany blue binder and I'm happy everything is in one place. Now on to the 'life' binder to get all of our personal information updated. 

Where I've been:
I took Friday off from work, so the big guy and I went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  Then we stopped at Menards and Kroger to pick u a few things we needed.  Other than that, I've been at work and home only and I'm still feeling OK with that.

Where I'm going:
No appointments or plans as of write now other than working Monday through Friday.  

What I'm watching:
I watched a Netflix series, How to Get Rich.  It was nice to know we are doing all that he recommended but it was shocking to see how many people are in deep debt. Some are hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and that didn't always include a mortgage.  One couple made $25,000.00 a month and often spent $27,000.00.  I guess I just don't understand the impulse some have to keep accumulating 'stuff'.  One thing I really liked about the series was the fact that the first thing they wanted everyone to think about was 'what is YOUR rich life'.  I think that made the show for me because we all put a different priority on different things.

What I'm reading:
Still reading the two books I started last week.

What I'm listening to:
Turned on the 70's and 80's channel while I worked around the house a couple of evenings.  How did I forget how much I LOVED Elton John?  I also was reminded that I have a very eclectic taste in music. I enjoy everything from classical to old country to rock and roll and a lot of things in between.  Motown music, can't leave that out.

What I'm eating:
Asian inspired chicken and udon soup
Beef chili


BIG salad
Fried chicken, goat cheese mashed poatoes, salad
Naan 'pizza"  This was delicious


Meat loaf, baked potato and asparagus
Tonight, the big guy requested chicken and waffles, so the waffle batter is in the fridge now.
Last week I made a loaf of banana bread to snack on and today I'm going to make a Bundt cake.  Not sure which one yet.

Who needs a good slap:  
The last couple of weeks I've slid back into the old habit of eating lunch at my desk going through emails or scrolling my phone instead of sitting at the conference table, reading a book and really enjoying 30 minutes away from work.  I give myself two slaps for that and I vow to start back to unplug at lunch tomorrow.

What I am planning:
Next Saturday a few friends and I are going to see Are You There God, It's Me Margaret.  I of course heard of the book but I never read it.  The movie looks good so I want to check it out.

What is making me smile:
The simple joys of cooking good meals, playing board games or cards with the big guy, movies, books and just time to relax.  That really all makes me smile.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy week ahead!  Enjoy your Sunday.




28 comments:

  1. I'd probably give my eye teeth for your recipe binder!!! Failing that, can we at least have some photos please????? I put together a "Life in Motion" folder some time ago where I have "the important stuff" for my kids' benefit and add to it as I think of it, so at least that feels like an achievement of sorts. And thanks for that Netflix recommendation, I'll have to take a look as I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment. Having worked in Geneva for 35 years I've seen people with a lot of money - and I've seen people who spend like they've got a lot of money when they don't! I'll never understand that part. I remember being horrified watching a British documentary showing (young women mainly) people working low paid jobs and then dashing out and spending £300 (on credit) on a handbag. Again, I will never understand it! I bought myself a new bum bag in Holland last week for €16 (big spender, huh?) and that's good enough for me. I guess we all have different priorities though, don't we!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sure and share photos of my recipe binder. It's just so nice to have everything in one place now. We have had our 'life' binder set up for a number of years also, but I want to go through and make sure it is all updated and I also need to add info on insurance policies, etc. I found the documentary very interesting. I too know people that make close to half a million a year or more and are in debt and have little cash. It's mind boggling. We do all have different priorities and that was another great thing about the series. He highly suggested spending a bit of money on what you loved but be smart about it and make sure you can afford it.

      Delete
  2. Love that you got your recipes all in one place. I have that on my list from formulas that I wrote and want to share. Pages and pages of drafts of bakes! They need to get in order.

    I hear good thing about Menards though haven't been yet. Love that you took Friday off. Three day weekends for the win!

    As for as eating, I can eat in front of the couch and when I do I almost always eat more. Not always, though most times. Depends on what the meal is I suppose. Though when I eat at the table quietly, I enjoy the food sooooo much more. Soooo much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long-time project and I'm thrilled it's finally complete.
      Menards came to our town about 3 years ago and I can usually always find what I want or need.
      Three-day weekends are a life saver and I usually take one every month for mental health reasons. lol
      One of my house rules has always been that we eat at the table. We did when I was growing up and I vowed to continue that tradition. I don't like to balance a plate when I eat.

      Delete
  3. It’s so nice to get a big project completed. I’m surprised you never read that book. I was obsessed with Judy Blume books as a young teen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Bijoux and I'm so pleased. I too am surprised I never read the book or any of Judy Blume's books. I was a serious reader and that was right at the time I should have read it but didn't and I can't even remember why.

      Delete
  4. I am curious to know how many recipes went into the binder. Can you tell us the number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. I have no idea. I'll have to check that out.

      Delete
  5. What a great accomplishment to get all your recipes into one binder. I find it amazing how I can totally forget how to make a recipe that I used to make all the time. I always vow not to eat while I'm on the computer, but I always still do! I think I tend to eat to much when it's mindless ! Have a great week.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having the binder. I don't necessarily eat more but I waste a chance to just tune out for a bit which is needed.

      Delete
  6. i think i read that "are you there God" book many years ago. It's a children's book isn't it? Good idea to get your recipes all sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all of her books were young adult stories. I don't know how I missed reading them.

      Delete
  7. My recipes are all jammed into a little index card box.
    That Netflix series sounds interesting. I've often wondered how a lot of people are affording all the things they are doing/buying. I can only guess that they are putting themselves in deep debt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a box and files that I kept them in and I could never find what I wanted. The series was pretty interesting. It's always fun to see how other people live. SO many are in debt.

      Delete
  8. I just read about that Netflix doc online and, oh boy. It sounds like some of those people want to look rich rather than be financially independent. One makes you feel good on the outside. The other makes you feel good because when you wake up in the morning, no one is your boss. I prefer being the latter.

    The more I see you making naan pizzas, the more curious I become about making one. I might have to try one out this coming weekend. Perhaps a barbecue chicken one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy the amount of debt some people have. I am 100% with you. I guess my 'rich life' is being debt free with some money saved knowing that if I really want to quit my job tomorrow I can.
      I've made the naan 'pizza' two or three times and I love it. BBQ chicken would be awesome.

      Delete
  9. Hello, my friend. The binder sounds wonderful!!!! What a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your menu is always delicious.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The series you watched sounds interesting. I got rid of Netflix- darn it. That sounds like something I would enjoy!
    Hope you have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very interesting. I always enjoy looking in to how others live. Wishing you a wonderful week Cheryl.

      Delete
  12. That recipe binder sounds like a good idea! I keep all my recipes in individual folders. I think a binder would be much more practical and keep them all in one place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had all of mine in individual folders too and I could never find what I wanted. I love having everything in one binder now. I'll show mine soon.

      Delete
  13. That recipe binder is a fantastic idea and props to you for having the character and perseverance to finish it! What recipes are not in a folder on my computer desktop, or saved in my emails, are printed out and thrown willy-nilly into a plastic box in a kitchen cupboard! And I mean a BIG plastic bin-type box that is stuffed so full, I have to practically sit on it to close it! I used to love staying at my desk for lunch when I worked. I found it easier than leaving for a mere 30 minutes (or even an hour, which is what I usually had) and then having to come back for the afternoon. But everyone is different. My idea of being rich is exactly what I have: The Lord has saved me and He keeps me; I enjoy freedoms that most people in the world only dream of; I have a lovely, comfortable home that I am privileged to keep; my true love has been by my side for 45 years; and our children and grandchildren are healthy and happy. And two new grandbabies on the way this year! I have an embarrassment of riches. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been meaning to do it for about two years or more and finally got it finished. It is so nice to have everything in one spot and easy to find. I have a conference table in my office so I'm just moving from the desk to the table to eat and read and relax a bit. Sometimes now that the weather is warmer I've been going out for a walk around the grounds. It makes my afternoon better. I'm the same way when I think about being 'rich'. Good health, loved ones, a comfortable roof over our heads, good food to eat are all on the top of my list. Every time God gives me another day here with the big guy, I am thankful and grateful.

    ReplyDelete