Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:
From what I read 414 false 'swatting' calls have happened here in the US since the beginning of the year.  Two of our areas high schools have had this happen and it is so frightening.  The stress on the parents, the students, the staff and law enforcement is huge. Apparently, people are using AI to generate these calls, so it is close to impossible to find out who originated them. I just can't wrap my head around this and why anyone would do such a thing. 

Where I've been:
Much of the same.  Work, home, Saturday breakfast and a bit of food shopping. I did go to a movie theater for the first time since Covid and saw God, it's me Margaret which was a really good movie.

Where I'm going:
Probably more of the same with the addition of a dentist visit on Friday.

What I'm watching:
We watched the first two episodes of Chao House on Food Network.  It's a cooking competition in Italy and the scenery is gorgeous.  The kitchen is too.  I'm a slow cook so seeing people put together amazing meals in less than 45 minutes is mind blowing.

What I'm reading:
I finished Rebel Homemaker by Drew Barrymore and I did enjoy it.  There are a couple of recipes I want to try.  Now to finish The Paris Wife this week.  I need to step up my reading because the list of books I want to read is LONG.

What I'm listening to:
My inner voice is telling me to get my project list done.  We're already heading into the 5th month of the year.  Where did the first four months go?

What I'm eating:
Pasta, salad and garlic bread
Chili and crackers
BIG salad
Lamb burgers and fries
Pizza-I used the remaining ground lamb, sauteed green peppers, red onion and portobello mushrooms with Greek oregano, red pepper flakes and motz and it was delicious.  
Coho salmon, rice and asparagus
Tonight, I'm making wings for the big guy, steak for me, baked potatoes and coleslaw with Texas toast. 

I made a Cinnamon, Coffee bundt cake last week.  It was good, smelled delicious but it wasn't a favorite for either of us so I won't be making it again.  Not sure what I'll bake today.  I have a few bananas that need used to probably banana bread. 

Who needs a good slap:
The 'mom influencer' that falsely accused a couple of trying to kidnap her children.  It appears she did it for story content and clicks.  That is crazy to me and I really hope she gets the help she needs.

What's making me smile:
We hit the 18th anniversary of moving here to Southern Illinois this past week.  Neither of us had ever lived in small town before and it was a bit of culture shock in the beginning.  But we've made a few friends, the big guy has built a successful business, we have access to local farmers for eggs, meat, fruit and vegetables which has been a huge benefit and many other positives so all and all, moving here has been great. 

I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday and a wonderful week.




28 comments:

  1. My daughter told me someone did a swatting call on someone in her neighborhood last year. It was terrifying to all who witnessed it and unbelievably awful for the innocent family that it happened to.

    Do you watch Top Chef? It's the only cooking show I watch these days. I am really enjoying the international version this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is terrible! That had to be a scary situation for that family as well.
      I haven't been watching Top Chef lately. I'll have to check it out. I think I would love an international version. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea SWATting was still a thing. I remember when gamers would do that to each other not long ago. That's why my PSN account is private and I have zero friends on it.

    That "mom influencer" is a racist. When brown people like me get accused of things we didn't do, it's hell for us. No one gives us the benefit of the doubt, so my sympathy goes to that Latino couple that were at Michael's buying Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is still a thing. Our local high school and another high school about 30 minutes away had it happen at the same time. I didn't know about it happening to gamers. Glad you keep yourself safe.
      Yes that mom is a real piece of work. I'm glad the couple saw themselves on the video and went to the police immediately. This could have really caused a lot of problems for them. I've seen first hand how situations can turn bad when black or brown people are accused and it shouldn't still be this way.

      Delete
  3. Falsely accusing someone of kidnapping her children is a horrible thing to do. I certainly hope that people see her for what she really is.
    Small town living is the best. I didn't grow up in a huge city but when I moved to where I am now it was very rural in comparison to where I lived before. The closest store is a 25 minute drive compared to 5. I wasn't sure I would like it at first but now 35 years later I wouldn't go back for anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just unbelievable to me what some people are capable of.
      After 18 years, I have to agree, I LOVE living in a small town. I wasn't sure either until about 2 years in and then I realized I did enjoy it and would never live in a bigger city again.

      Delete
  4. Lamb burgers! I have never had one. Worth a try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer lamb burgers to beef burgers.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the mention of that Italian cooking show. I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. So far we've enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard about that mom influencer but seriously???? It kinda blows my mind what some people will do for attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beyond crazy what some people are capable of. I just don't get it.

      Delete
  7. I hadn't heard about the influencer.. absolutely horrible.
    My fam is not a big fan of lamb.
    The cinnamon coffee cake sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy to me what some people will do.
      It seems lamb is like cilantro. You either love it or you don't.

      Delete
  8. There sure are some wackos in the world today!
    Happy anniversary on your move!
    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are crazy, dangerous people out there. Thanks Cheryl. Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  9. Very true....where did the first four months go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly can't wrap my head around it.

      Delete
  10. I need to come eat at your table. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your menu sounds delicious, I agree with your slap,
    The swatting calls sound scary - I have to look up what it is. Sounds like you've enjoyed your 18 years in the small town! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judee. "Swatting" calls are hoax calls made to report serious crimes or emergencies. Our two local high schools had calls reporting a student with a gun which was false. Apparently a lot of these calls are being made using AI making them almost untraceable.

      Delete
  12. Growing up Hello God, it's me Margaret was my favorite pre-teen book. Loved it!! What you are eating now looks good. No doubt your access to fresh produce, dairy and meats is fantastic.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at the right age when the book came out but I honestly do not remember reading it. The movie was very good. Yes, we are so thankful for all of the local producers helping us to eat well.

      Delete
  13. We had a swatting call at our local high school last week! I will never understand the mind of someone who could do something like that! I sometimes wonder if those kind of calls did not get media attention they would not be so "fun" for the person doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are happening everywhere it seems. I do not understand it myself. Life is stressful enough.

      Delete
  14. I hadn't heard of the swatting, Lori. That is truly terrifying. As if people aren't crazy and cruel enough when it IS real, as to terrorize innocent people while only pretending, is so horrible. I can't even get my head around the evil that seems to be rampant in the world today. Social media has done nothing for society except to degrade it. You are privileged to live in a small town and I'm glad you appreciate it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate where we live but we are not immune to everything going on. It was our local high school and another one in a town about 20 minutes away that had this happen. It is so unbelievable to me why anyone would do something like this.

      Delete