Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2021

My Week

Good sleeping weather has finally arrived and my AC is finally off hopefully until Spring.  Friday night a cold front blew in and the winds were incredible.  We stepped outside and watched a ton of leaves fly off our neighbors tree only to land in our yard,  It was 37 degrees when I got up this morning but it was still 65 in the house.  I have a couple of windows open now to bring in all of that fresh air. This is my favorite time of year.

In honor of the cold front I made a big batch of chili last night and we had a chili bar for two.  Green onions, cheddar cheese and a small spoonful of sour cream are my favorite toppings. The chili was loaded with our poblano, serrano and tabasco peppers so the toppings helped cool it down just a bit. Instead of making cornbread like I usually do we used oyster crackers for a nice change.  So now I have 8 large servings of chili in the freezer. This one batch of chili made a total of 10 large servings for either lunches or dinners using 1 pound of local grass fed ground beef that was 5.99 .  Not bad at all.  You could even stretch it further if you used one serving and made chili dogs or chili mac for two people.  

We did our biweekly shopping yesterday. It was a cool but beautiful sunny day perfect for the ride.  So far in October we have spent 606.64.  That does include everything though.  Food, pet food, health and beauty products, cleaning products and alcohol.  The total this month also includes a 15 pound turkey for Thanksgiving.  I've mentioned before that I have a pretty substantial pantry with I'm estimating 4 months of the items we routinely use.  I'm not a hoarder or a prepper, I just like the insurance of having what we need in the event we can't or don't want to shop for awhile.  It was always important to do this when we lived in Florida and went through hurricane season.  Here it is important to do in case of a winter snow storm or bitter temps that just make you want to stay home. It is a good feeling to not HAVE to go out.

Dinners this week were...

Big salad
Beef Thai soup made with left over beef and bones from the huge beef short ribs I cooked on Sunday that were delicious.  We have 4 more servings in the freezer that all I have to do is add udon or rice noodles and whatever veggies we want.  When I make the Thai soup I don't like to freeze it with the veggies or noodles.  I don't think they hold up well or taste the same as fresh.
Chicken nachos
Bacon cheese burger and Japanese sweet potato "fries"
Pizza
Chili
Tonight I'm not sure yet but it will be something with boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I have a small list of things I need to do today to get ready for the work week.  I also want to bake something but I don't know what yet.  This week I am going to try out a new schedule to hopefully give me a little more life/work/family balance.  Other than our biweekly shopping trips I want my weekends free of to do's and cleaning.  I think I've come up with a routine that will let me finish it through the week leaving my weekends free.  Wish me luck!

Stay safe and have a fabulous Sunday!!


8 comments:

  1. I remember 'good sleeping weather' when I lived in the Midwest. It was indeed a cozy time for good sleeping after the heat of summer. We don't get such (worse luck!) until November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get much of it in Florida either so I appreciate its return each Fall.

      Delete
  2. You know I think you have inspired my to make chili this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooler here also, and lots of leaves have fallen....

    Hooray for lots of frozen meals.

    We are not hoarders or preppers, to want an old fashioned deep pantry. We are Wise. -smile-

    Oh I do hope your new plan, let's you have weekends free! Having such will be so good for your all over Joy and Peace of Mind, and Health too!!!!!!

    And even if it doesn't fully work this week, keep tweaking it. Don't give up until you accomplish it. Think of the happpppppy outcome! -smile-

    🍁🎃🍁🍂👻🍂🍁🎃🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have every intention of making this plan work even though I know it will take a little time to get a new routine down. I used to have a routine like that but then I worked at the school district and had a lot more time off. It does make me happy thinking about the free time.

      Delete
  4. It's cooler here as well. I woke up to 49 degree weather this morning, and unlike my old apartment I felt every degree of it when I climbed out of bed.

    I'm glad you had a great week. I too need to stock the cabinet with a few food items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 49 must be pretty chilly for you.
      I've just always liked knowing we could make do for awhile if I don't feel like shopping or for whatever reason can't shop.

      Delete