Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Wednesday W's

 What's top of my mind:  Winter.   The locals are all talking about the persimmons and what they are predicting for this year.  If you crack open a seed from the ripe fruit and look at the shape inside, it can forecast the winter weather.  If you see a fork, that will be a mild year.  A spoon shape means a lot of snow and the knife represents frigid winds that will 'cut' like a knife.  This year everyone is seeing an abundance of spoons with a few knives, same as last year which had record breaking temps and snow.  We shall see.

Where I've been: Shoe shopping.  I am picky when it comes to shoes.  I want cute, comfortable and good quality.  I hate buying shoes that don't wear well or last long.  I scored two suitable pairs so I'm happy.

Where I'm going: Saturday we will be going out to do our grocery shopping and hopefully an outside table for lunch at Drakes.  We need an outing and I need someone else to cook me a meal for a change. The high temps for Saturday are supposed to be in the 60's so perfect outside eating weather.

What I'm watching: This past weekend I watched Practical Magic and Hocus Pocus to get me in the spirit of the season.  I usually watch Hocus Pocus every year but it's been awhile since I've seen Practical Magic.

What I'm reading: Make Your Bed: Little things that can change your life and maybe the world.  I've only just started and so far it's interesting.

What I'm listening to: We were able to turn the AC off yesterday evening so I enjoyed hearing all the birds on the feeders in the back yard.  This time of year we have such a large variety of birds and butterflies in our area passing through to reach their winter homes.

What I'm eating: I made beef short ribs on Sunday and used the left over meat and bones to make a spicy beef Thai soup last night.  I was SO good I'm having a bowl for lunch today.

Who needs a good slap: I must be feeling pretty mellow right now because I can't think of anyone.

What I'm planning: I'm still working through my fall projects list and cleaning out the garage is scheduled for Sunday.  We don't have much in the garage but it needs a good scrubbing before winter.  I also like to put out fresh peppermint tea bags to discourage the spiders or mice from making a home. They really do work well.  We had a very large spider in our mailbox and I threw a tea bag in to see if it worked and that spider immediately found his way out.

What's making me smile:  The big guy.  He has been making me smile every day for almost 37 years. I got really lucky in the marriage department. 

Stay safe and have a great Wednesday!!

13 comments:

  1. I did not know peppermint repelled spiders. We have had this house sprayed and boy has that cut down on the little creatures. Worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we get our house sprayed twice a year too and don't have anything inside but I find the peppermint works well for the garage and certain things outside.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, delightful to eat out once in a while and leave the cooking to someone else!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSS!!!

    I must get watching some Halloween type films! One channel has them, all 31 days of Oct.!!!!!

    Love that house in Practical Magic! But then, everyone who loves that film, loves the house too!!!!!!!

    Ohhhh peppermint tea bags for spiders and mice! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    👻🎃🎃🎃👻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I love to cook, sometimes it's just nice to have someone else cook for you. I had read about the peppermint and when I spotted a spider in the mailbox and threw one in it indeed did work quickly. So I place them around the garage and storage shed too.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've been busy! Good to know about the peppermint tea bags - I've tons of spiders in my garage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see you're doing this. Glad to see everything is going well, and I hope you had a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy yours and Spos so I wanted to give it a try. It was a pretty good day. I hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  5. I buy the same shoes over and over just replacing them as they wear out
    I long to see Hocus Pocus soon.
    Thai soup - my favorite !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thai soup is one of my favorites as well.

      Delete
  6. I've read peppermint also repels mosquitoes, which is a problem in the sticks all year round in Germany! I would try it, but our indoor daddy longlegs population keeps the other insects in check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a number of insects do not like the scent of peppermint. I saw a daddy longlegs outside yesterday on the side of the house. It was huge so he must be doing his job outside on the insect population here.

      Delete
  7. Whoops! Didn't mean to post twice! I hit back in my browser by accident.

    ReplyDelete