Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Inventory

This post is for my own record.  If it helps you in any way, then that is a bonus. I was going to write it in my notebook but thought I type quicker than I write so this would be easier. I've always kept a well-stocked house.  I've never liked to shop much and with storms, illness or whatever it always pays to be stocked up. Now, between the prices of everything and the instability of the world I'd like to keep a minimum of 6-8 months of food in rotation.  

So far this month we have spent $202.10 in groceries, toiletries and household products.  I spent a good part of the morning doing an inventory and straightening out the pantry, baking cabinet, spice rack, fridge and freezer.  I'm happy to report nothing is out of date or even close so that is a good thing.

I do see that we do not need to buy anything but dairy, veggies and fruit (we also do have a meat order to pick up in a couple of weeks) for at least the rest of this month maybe a bit longer and still be well stocked.  I want to make sure to use what we have wisely, and just keep an eye on things moving forward. I don't want to over stock and we only buy a couple of things we don't regularly eat. See below. :)

It's hard for me to calculate just how much the two of us go through.  So this may be a bit give or take but a pretty good starting point.

PANTRY: 6-8 months worth stored:
Variety of Pastas
Variety of Udon and Rice noodles
Basmati and Jasmine Rice
Variety of canned tomato products including 3 jars of Rao's marinara sauce
Variety of canned fruits
2 large cans of chicken, 4 cans of tuna, 2 tins of sardines, 6 cans of Ravioli and 6 cans of tomato soup (these are kind of emergency foods I keep on hand that we don't regularly eat but will if they get close to expiration date )
Variety of Jelly
Peanut butter
Syrup
Honey
Apple Sauce
Variety of dried and canned beans
Condiments, spices, herbs, salts, vinegars, oils and butter
Vanilla
Cereal
Oatmeal
Variety of Crackers
Variety of Coffee, Tea, Soda, Water

BAKING CABINET: 2-4 months worth stored:
Variety of Flours
Sugars-White and Brown and Powdered
Baking powder
Baking Soda
Corn Starch
Cocoa powder
Chocolate chips
Variety of Nuts
Coconut Flakes
SO many sprinkles 

FREEZER: This is what I like to really make sure we're rotating through.  I don't like things that are frozen for more than a few months.  I would never thaw meat, cook it and then refreeze.  I'm picky that way.
Variety of Peppers
Variety of Veggies
Variety of Fruit
1 pnd. Pecans
3 Large chicken sausage links
2 pounds Behrmann bacon
2 Behrmann beef bones (large)
1 Beef shoulder roast
6 bscb
10 pounds ground beef
Cod
Redfish
Coho salmon
Ice cream
Package of English muffins
Home made extras in the freezer:
2 calzones
1 veggie pizza
6 buns
2-3 servings of meat,veg sauce pasta dish
2 servings of beef chili
2-3 servings of sloppy joe
Chicken and Beef stock
6 Pesto cubes

Our fridge has a variety of dairy, fresh veggies, eggs, variety of cheeses, won ton wrappers, condiments etc.  I don't worry much about it because I'm really good about using this all up in good time.

I'm really glad I decided to do this today and will print this list out. I have a clean fridge, freezer, pantry and cabinets and I feel a lot more organized and now can keep track of what gets used and what gets brought in the house.  That will give me the opportunity to fine tune just how much of each item do we really need.  Saving time and money is always good.

If you weren't bored out of your mind and made it to the end I hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend. 

8 comments:

  1. I did make it to the end and actually enjoyed reading it. So I'm curious, and it is okay if you don't want to share it, how much do you spend on groceries for the month (groceries, household products, etc). We spend probably more than we should, lol, but my hubby enjoys shopping. I think it is his hobby since he retired, but he loves to shop and I hate it, so he does it on Friday mornings and I'm not complaining. We spend probably about $600 to $700 monthly for the two of us. We've been trying to stock up a bit more with food items but I don't think we have the 6-8 months like you do; probably closer to 4 months worth. We did get a freezer a few months back and have that well stocked but, like you, I need to make sure I keep rotating the meat that is in there. And I agree with you; I'm all for saving time and money, especially these days with the cost of food going up almost weekly it seems for some items!

    I am glad you did this! It inspires me to take an inventory of what we have.

    You too enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty, I'm so glad someone actually found this helpful.

      I started tracking our spending either in 2020 or last year and we average 500.00 to 600.00 a month for the two of us. Like you that includes everything even pet food and local meat. We rarely eat out so I don't think that number is excessively high. Plus you have to factor in where you live. Our prices are especially good on local items.

      Yes, saving time and money and having little to no waste is more important than ever.

      Good luck on your inventory. You may find like I did that you have more than you think when you really get in there.



      Delete
  2. I'm a list reader too and found this helpful. My pre-live in one paycheck budget was about $475, but realistically averaged over whole year at least $500-$525, like you including everything for household, and food. I'm aiming to shave that this year to $427/$430, or 90% of my paper budget. So far so good. I'll estimate though we could go at most 2 months, maybe only 6-7 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found this helpful Kim, I really was doing it for my own interests. I love hearing what others are doing. It gives me ideas. I think your budget is doable and now that we are stocked up and only restocking I'm interested to see if my total goes down. I honestly do not want to stock too much, but just enough for our comfort level.

      Delete
  3. I made it to the end as well. It's a great idea to have things stored in case there's a shortage of anything. I wish I had the space right now to do that, but I'm happy to say I can hold out for a full week without any issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, storage is an issue for a lot of people. I don't have a ton of storage space but we make what we have work. Have a great Sunday!!

      Delete
  4. I found it interesting for at the moment my larder is bare and I have been wondering to just buy what I need or 'stock up' on basics for whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would stock up on basics. Remember the 2020 flour shortage?

      Delete