Pages

Friday, March 25, 2022

Variety

I had a beef soup bone with meat and a 3.5 pound beef shoulder roast to cook for dinner Sunday.  Sometimes I use my Dutch oven but I decided to put it all in the crock pot instead.

I lined the bottom of the crock pot with celery, carrots, a shallot, 8 whole cloves of garlic, a large piece of ginger and an onion.  Then I seared the beef bone which actually had a lot of meat on it and the roast.  After searing I placed both on top of the veg.  I added about 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce and then covered with water. The only thing else was a few cracks of pepper.  I don't like to add spices so I can spice it according to what I'm making later with it. It was all cooked on low for 8 hours filling the kitchen with a heavenly scent.





That beef bone makes the BEST beef broth!  We enjoyed the roast with mashed potatoes, the carrots and green beans.

For dinner Tuesday I used some of the beef and broth to make French dip sandwiches with oven fries.  This is one of my all time favorites.


While that was cooking I dealt this the left overs, so into the freezer went...

4 beef, cheese and cilantro tortillas individually wrapped for another dinner or lunches

A tray of beef stock to make individual cubes for later use.  Just transfer to a freezer bag once frozen.


3 Cups of beef stock in a jar.  I'll probably use it for a Thai noodle dish that we enjoy.

3 Cups of beef for BBQ beef sandwiches in the near future.

I love it when cooking one thing gives you so many options for other meals. It saves time and money while still having variety.

I'm excited for a three day weekend. Hope you all have a great Friday!!






14 comments:

  1. I haven't bought a beef roast in ages, but I think if I am savvy in March, along with the Christmas ham, a roast will be in my April plan. Your way of making then saving the juice is so smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice cube tray comes in handy for any kind of leftover broth or homemade pesto. That way you can pull out how much you need without waste.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I have never thought of doing it this way! It sounds delicious! I am learning so much from you, my friend. Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Billie Jo. I know you'll have a cozy weekend also.

      Delete
  3. Yummmmmmmmmm.... With the added Joy of having more meals, ready to eat, at a later time.

    The pot of my Crock Pot has to be replaced. Must remember to do so.

    3 day weekend? I must be missing something. :-)

    Sat. is my Birthday, and per usual, I plan to have a day when I only do what I want to do. :-))))))))

    Enjoy your long weekend!

    🐴💛🐴

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took today off making it a 3 day weekend.
      I like cooking once and being able to make different meals for another day. It saves time and money.
      HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend!! That is the perfect way to celebrate a birthday. I hope you have a wonderful day!!

      Delete
  4. I love that idea of freezing the broth like that. I have heard of it, but I am going to the dollar store to get a tray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I hadn't thought of doing broth like that. Honestly we sometimes dump the broth stuff that cooks out of a roast or chicken when we use our crock pot. Now I'm going to suggest to hubby that we do the ice cube freezing routine. It is ingenious! Yum on the roast and the ways you cooked everything from it, etc! I used to have a great recipe for roast in the crock pot, pretty much used every spice in the kitchen, lol, but my son can't eat red meat any more (gout) and we usually would make a roast when the family came to dinner so I got rid of the recipe. It is always so neat to come home from being some place and smell what is cooking in the crock pot!

    Glad you had an extra day for your weekend this time!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken and Beef broth is so good in so many different recipes. I like the cubes because sometimes you just need a little.
      Too bad your son can no longer eat beef. I would miss it if I ever had to give it up. Yes on the smell of cooking in the crock pot. I was home that day and it was making me so hungry.
      I enjoy 3 day weekends so much.
      I hope you have a wonderful weekend Betty.

      Delete
  6. I've never thought about using the broth for future usages. I'm going to have to do that the next time I slow cook anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the broth is so good for so many things.
      Have a great weekend!!

      Delete
  7. You are so clever with food and I can just smell all those wonderful cooking smells! Your French dip sandwich and fries looks like the best meal anyone on your block had all week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has always been my favorite sandwich. I love when you walk in the kitchen and smell deliciousness cooking.

      Delete