Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2022

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  The big guy received this letter from one of his students this week and I have been thinking about it ever since I read it.  It makes me sad that this ten year old girl feels it is necessary to learn to protect herself and her family.  Obviously she's a very bright girl and I think it is great that she wants to learn more about self defense but I also look back to my own carefree childhood when I was ten and it makes me sad that she is thinking about this.



Where I've been: This week work and home are the only places I've been. 

Where I'm going: Saturday we have a reservation at Firefly Grill that I am really looking forward to.  I also want to make a trip to the farm store for soil and a few things for the garden.

What I'm watching: Yesterday I watched the movie Patsy and Lorretta on Netflix.  I watched another movie about Patsy Cline years ago and found her so interesting.  This movie actually had me in tears at the end and I'm not much of a crier.  

What I'm reading: Sadly I haven't picked up a book all week.  I  thought about this and realized that I do most of my reading in the summer when the weather is nice and I can sit outside in the sun so I'm getting my reading list ready for that.

What I'm listening to: As much peace and quiet as I can get.

What I'm eating: 

Big salad with dutch oven bread two nights
Roast beef subs, au jus and oven fries
Chili Frito pie


Veggie pasta sauce over spaghetti noodles, salad and garlic cheese biscuits.  This is before I added the tomato sauce.  The smell of all these veggies sauteing in the pot was divine.  


Fried chicken strips, mashed potatoes, salad and cheese  biscuits



Who needs a good slap:  Everyone pushing for book banning.  I don't like it.  

What I'm planning: My garden.  It's almost time to get it started and I'm excited. 

What's making me smile: Our tulip tree and weeping cherry blossom tree are in full bloom.  How can this not make you smile.



How was your week?

I hope everyone has a great Sunday!! 

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowering plants/trees! We don't get that here in Phoenix (much) but it is always so beautiful to see when others show their pictures of spring arriving in their neck of the woods! So sad with that letter from the 10 year old! She is very wise for one so young. Makes you wonder about our youth today. So much they see and hear and read. Definitely not the carefree days of my youth!

    How fun with your garden! You'll have to share what you are growing when you plant it, etc. We looked into a community garden that we saw advertised here. I thought it was a brilliant concept. Local church was renting out patches of land for people to have their own garden spot (and reasonable, only like $10 a month). But then my husband started looking into what kinds of plants we can grow in the Phoenix heat. Apparently Phoenix is listed as zone 10 in gardening (whatever that means with who assigned zones lol) and tomatoes do good in zones 8 and 9. Some tomatoes will be okay in zone 10 but not many and can have blistering skin if grown in too hot of an environment. That saddened me to think of blistering skin on a tomato. So we are still researching what, if anything, could be homegrown though I think it is important to have that source of food available. Good luck with your garden!

    I'll have to look into that movie on Netflix. Always looking for something interesting to watch.

    I love Frito pie but sadly my tummy is not fond of Frito chips these days. We used to eat a lot of it when the kids were growing up. I hadn't heard of it until we lived in Santa Fe Mexico and saw it at a rodeo we went to. Very creative to serve it in the Frito bag as they did there (and I'm sure other places)

    We had a nice week :)

    You too have a nice Sunday!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a very bright girl. Just made me a little sad to see what is on her mind. She shouldn't have to worry about things like that.

      No, blistering tomatoes sounds very sad. We used to live in SW Florida so I had to relearn everything about gardening when we moved to the Midwest. I'm not going to grow as much as I have in the past but I will be growing a lot of lettuce, herbs and a variety of peppers. The garlic we planted last fall should be ready to pull up by mid June. The other produce I'm going to get from the farmers market to support the local farmers. They need that more than ever now.

      We have Frito pie maybe twice a year. I had never had it until we moved here and they served it in the cafeteria at work. I've seen it served in the bag but never had it that way.

      Glad to hear you had a nice week!!

      Delete
  2. Who is pushing book banning??????????????????

    πŸŽ‚πŸŒΈπŸŽ‚πŸŒΈπŸŽ‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.yahoo.com/gma/librarians-uniting-battle-school-book-142800285.html?msclkid=e7f3035dadee11ec99fc66065c824614&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHGxnDYD83ZXpzmupoFVcnuxTg3PllO6XiG6WzhabbII-WrdXWKXDagY1HEjTGEK-efCXQRZNo85HjC9AfP3agylccvIh3utRscfdwlmfYZzn0MK8KvHaREzgZGQtWX_W2BRS8MDz4nq9koF3JbvNddMIddy83DAa6o62M-BRw8r

      A lot of states are.

      Delete
  3. Your husband must enjoy getting a letter from a student... Showing how important his work is.

    Beautiful spring trees. And they must smell so lovely!!!!!!!!

    πŸŽ‚πŸŒΈπŸŽ‚πŸŒΈπŸŽ‚

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the child- she felt safe writing it so that's good. Your meals sound so good and let me take a slap at the book banners too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That letter was on my mind for days. Yes slap the book banners.

      Delete
  5. Someday I need to make a frito pie, I keep hearing about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything involving Fritos is good for the soul. I will occasionally garnish turkey chili with some Fritos and cheddar cheese.

    I'd slap the book banners, too. They disgust me.

    I love the blooming trees. I've always wanted a cherry blossom tree. I don't think the HOA where my parents' house is would like that, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fritos are good for the soul.
      I can't believe in 2022 we are still dealing with book banners. How is this a thing anymore??
      It's a pretty tree. Can't believe the HOA wouldn't allow it.
      Have a great week!!

      Delete
  7. That is really sad, I had an idealic childhood, well not really, but I never felt I had to defend my family. You food as usual looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim.
      My childhood wasn't perfect but I agree, I never thought about having to defend my family.

      Delete
  8. Everything looks delicious, Lori! The trees are SO gorgeous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete