Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2022

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  How much I love this time of year.  For me, it's not just about Christmas day but the entire Christmas season that makes me happy.  I love having the house decorated inside and out almost giving off a glow from the lights and candles, making being home on these cold, dark nights cozy.  We bought a new tree this year for the living room that I love and so far, knock on wood, Binx has been pretty good about leaving it alone.

Where I've been: I worked all week which was a bit difficult after a couple of short weeks.  I have 10 days off at the end of the month, so I have a lot to make sure I get done before then.  I did a bit of food shopping yesterday and made a trip to Hobby Lobby for a couple of things. 

Where I'm going:  Other than work I'm not sure what we're doing yet.  It is supposed to be a pretty chilly and rainy week so we will see.

What I'm watching: Christmas movies.  

What I'm reading: Looking through various cookbooks for ideas.  The seed catalogs are arriving as well, but I'll save those for February Garden planning. 

What I'm listening to: I pulled out my Christmas CDs to listen to in the car while riding around.  Stevie Nicks version of Silent Night is one of my favorites.

What I'm eating:  Sunday I made a big pot of Brunswick stew with all of the leftover turkey.  It was delicious and now I have a few lunches or dinners ready in the freezer.


I pulled out the uncooked pan of stuffed shells that I made a couple of weeks ago and we enjoyed that with a salad and garlic bread.
Chicken Tikka Masala, rice and Naan


BIG salad x 2
Lamb burgers and oven fries.  It's been a while since I've made one and it hit the spot for us both.


Last night I made a big pot of beef and bean chili adding more leftovers to the freezer for easy meals over the next couple of weeks.

Who needs a good slap: This is on pause for the Holiday season.

What I'm planning: This week I hope to finalize the holiday meals for Christmas and New Year's. I will also start my holiday baking next week.  I make 3 or 4 things that freeze well and will make the things that do not freeze well right before putting the tins of sweets together for our friends.  We'll have one tin to snack on between Christmas and New Year's for us.

What's making me smile: Our community is filled with loving people that are there for each other.  It is so nice to see the town rally around anyone that is in need. This is the first small town I have lived in and while it was culture shock at first, now almost 18 years later I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else.

I hope everyone is staying warm and safe.



28 comments:

  1. Your post is something that makes me smile. You're upbeat mood is contagious. I'm not complaining about freezer assets. Finding a hidden treasure when I don't feel like cooking is a win. Binx is being a good kitty. So far grandpup too is being sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam. This time of year can bring on sadness so I try to focus on the good. Glad your grandpup is being good. I was worried about Binx.

      Delete
  2. That’s nice of you to put the slap on pause 🤣
    I finished my cookie list and bought all the ingredients. Now the hard part: making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all my ingredients and yes, now to get them made.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on loving the Christmas lights inside and outside of my house! Makes the dark nights a little brighter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is nice with the extra lights this time of year. It makes for cozy evenings.

      Delete
  4. Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love the holiday season for many reasons. This year is a bit different though, but I'm determined to enjoy the holidays. Your food looks absolutely delicious, as always. I'd give anything for those lamb burgers :) I love lamb. I enjoyed reading about your community. I had that growing up, despite not living in a small town. Have a wonderful week Lori. Stay safe & warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to be doing a good job of making the best of things. The lamb burger was so good. Lamb is one of my favorites. Wishing you a wonderful week as well!!

      Delete
  5. I don't celebrate Christmas but of all the religious holidays if there was one I could it would be this one. I love seeing the lights on people's house.. it's such a lovely time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of the lights as well. It's perfect for this time of year with the shorter daylight.

      Delete
  6. What a jolly cheery set of Ws! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you are putting who needs a slap on hold for the holidays. I couldn't help thinking though that this time of year there are a lot of people who need a slap more than ever.
    That burger looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be plenty to slap after the holidays I'm sure.

      Delete
  8. I join you in your love of the waiting for Christmas! This time leading up to it is my favorite! The cozy, the lights, the movies and music! Enjoy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you and are very much alike in our thoughts on Christmas Billie Jo. Wishing you a cozy week!!

      Delete
  9. Tis the season for stews, soups and they all freeze so well. Made a big pot of chili the other night for dinner. The house smelled good as it cooked all day. Had a bowl again the next day for lunch and then froze the rest. I keep telling hubby I need a freezer, separate from the fridge so I can do more things like that. He thinks the idea is silly. So, I'm limited how much I can make things in volumne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes stews and soups are perfect for this time of year. It's just the two of us now so I try to be mindful of how far things stretch. Making two individual trays of stuffed shells, cooking one and adding the other uncooked to the freezer works well for us too. I hope you can convince you're hubby how much time and money you could save with the extra freezer space.

      Delete
  10. This was definitely a great week for you, and I'm glad to see you seem at peace. Hopefully Binx, The Big Guy and you have more of the same this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holidays can get hard if you think about things too much so I always try to focus on the joys and remind myself to be thankful for all I have. I hope you have a great week!!

      Delete
  11. Everything looks good, and warm and comforting! I bet your Christmas decorations are beautiful. I hope you enjoy every minute of your December and Christmas season! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! Wishing you all the happiness of the season as well my friend.

      Delete
  12. I laughed out loud about you putting your slaps on hold for the holiday! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I have the Christmas spirit! lol Wishing you a very Merry Christmas also Kim!!

      Delete
  13. So nice that the small town, has proved to be a real home town.

    🎄 🎄 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has. It took me a while but this is home now.

      Delete
  14. I think everyone is feeling the warmth of the holiday season. The decorations, the music, the movies, - such a great time of the year! no slaps during the holidays? so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everyone is feeling it. I know this time of year can bring on sadness in most of us but I'm hoping everyone will still have some Joys.

      Delete