Pages

Friday, December 16, 2022

Russian teacakes, Mexican wedding cookies or Snowballs?

I did a quick google search and found the term "Mexican weeding cookie or cake" did not appear in the American vocabulary until the early 1950s, after which the term appeared in virtually every basic baking cookbook.  At the same time, recipes for "Russian teacakes" began disappearing from the same books.  Both are virtually the exact same thing in both ingredients, method and final product.  Many historians speculate that the term Mexican wedding cookie/cake was used to replace the term Russian teacake due to strained US relationships with Russia at the time.

In English, they are referred to as Mexican wedding cookies or Mexican wedding cakes, which is slightly misleading as they are not cakes nor do they replace a traditional wedding cake in a Mexican wedding reception.  The cookies, known in Mexico as biscochitos, appear at either the dessert bar or on plates distributed among tables.  In Mexico they are made either in ball or crescent shapes.

My maternal Grandmother made these every Christmas.  I believe she referred to them as Mexican wedding cookies but I have heard both and also snowballs.  I've even heard them called Italian Wedding cookies.

This was her recipe:

1 Cup unsalted butter softened slightly
1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 Cups all purpose flour
1 cup pecans, chopped into small bits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and salt until well combined. (Can also use a regular mixer)
Mix in vanilla.
Blend in flour.  It will seem dry at first but keep mixing, it will come together.
Mix in pecans.
Scoop dough out 1 tablespoon at a time and shape into balls.  Transfer to baking sheet.  Bake in preheated oven for about 13-14 minutes.
Let cool on a rack for about 10 minutes.
Roll warm cookies one at a time in remaining powdered sugar.  Transfer back to rack and let cool completely then roll in powdered sugar once more to cover.  Store in airtight container.

What name do you associate with these cookies?  Whatever you call them, they are my favorite cookie of all time.

14 comments:

  1. Those were always my favorite Xmas cookie as a child. We called them snowballs or Russian tea cakes. The chocolate Mexican cookies I just made used cream cheese instead of butter. They were not dry and crumbly like snowballs. I wouldn’t make them again because the dough was hard to handle (messy).

    I make Italian wedding cookies at Easter. The recipe is similar, but without nuts.I roll them into small logs and afterwards use icing and sprinkles. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still my favorite cookie no matter what they are called.. It's so confusing when they call the same thing by so many different names. The Italian wedding cookies you make sound delicious too.

      Delete
  2. I love these, and thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Sam. Thank you for asking for the recipe.

      Delete
  3. Sound yummy...

    πŸ˜ŠπŸŽ„πŸ€ΆπŸŽ„πŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of very sweet desserts so this one is perfect. It's more of the nutty flavor than sugary.

      Delete
  4. I make them each Christmas and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound like the snowballs my aunt used to make at Christmas. I haven't had them in years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea they were one and the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? There seem to be a lot of other names too.

      Delete
  7. I have always heard them referred to as Mexican Wedding Cookies and they are truly wonderful. Thanks for the recipe! xoxo

    ReplyDelete