Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2022

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind: Staying healthy.  So many people are sick with colds, flu and covid.  One of the doc's told me there was a patient with both the flu and covid but she actually was less sick than some.  I have two very busy weeks ahead at work before I take the week between Christmas and NY off so I'm really trying to avoid everyone.  

Where I've been:  I worked all week, made a quick trip to Kroger for fresh veggies and fruit and the big guy and I had lunch at our local Italian place yesterday.  Other than that, I was home.

Where I'm going: Next Saturday we're going out of town to do some shopping.  We have a few things to pick up at Target, Barnes and Noble and get the rest of what we need for the Holidays.  

What I'm watching:  I watched both Christmas Chronicles movies again.  I just love them both.  The big guy prefers the first one, but I think they're both equally good movies.

What I'm reading: I pulled out a stack of my Christmas cookbooks and magazines to flip through.  NY eve we always have an appetizer night and I'm always looking for new ones to try.  I have always loved a big selection of tasty appetizers.


What I'm listening to: Right now I'm listening to Binx zoom through the house.  We've had 8 cats over the last 30 some years and I have never experienced anyone like him.  He has SO much energy.  He has started to spring off of the hallway wall and sliding glass door.  He has one toy that he hisses at when he can't get ahold of it.  I bought him a leash so when the weather is better I can take him out to roam around the backyard.  

What I'm eating: 
LO chili with jalapeno poppers I made the poppers the same way I usually do but used crushed nacho chips instead of breadcrumbs for the top and they were very good.
Egg rolls and rice
LO Brunswick stew with a slice of my favorite bread
Pizza and Salad
Meatloaf, baked potato and salad
BIG salad since we had a larger than normal lunch



Who needs a good slap: On pause still for the Holiday season.

What I'm planning:  I've started my list of things to get next week.  I want to make sure I get everything, so I don't have to go inside of a store until after the NY.

What's making me smile: There is a nursing home two houses down across the street from us and they put up a free little library.  It is so cute and now I have another place to take books I've read.  

I hope everyone is staying healthy and enjoying the holiday season.  I know this time of year can bring us down which is ok as long as we don't stay there too long and wallow.  Remember to look for the joys no matter how small.

27 comments:

  1. A free little library by a nursing home is a terrific location. We went to my sister's last year for NYE and had leftover meat(refroze) for sandwiches, and then appetizers. That's my favorite way to ring in a new year. I'm taking your lead and avoiding slap's for now. Maybe people will behave better knowing they'll be back in January.Bunx sounds like a lot, but then I understand having an 8 month old 49 pound propy here several days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the library at the nursing home is perfect. And it's so cute. I'll have to get a picture of it. Ever since I was a kid my mom did appetizers on NYE and I always loved it. Binx is very well behaved, doesn't scratch anything or anyone and listens very well, he just has so much energy. I just didn't feel right celebrating the holiday season and slapping anyone. Not that there aren't many that need it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to staying healthy. I am glad that nowadays, people are a bit more sensitive about thinking twice before going out with their friends if they have a cold or whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, germs are running rampant right now. I hope people do stay home when sick. I know I do.

      Delete
  4. That’s a good place for a Little Library. I love appetizers but it always seems like more work than making a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was the perfect place too. Yes, sometimes they can be more work than a meal.

      Delete
  5. These are good ones indeed, and good for you for laying off the slaps at Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! I am with you. There is so much sickness everywhere, and I am really trying to avoid any chance of getting sick. Love the New Year's appetizer idea. Can't wait to get some good ideas from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay well Billie Jo. It seems to be everywhere. I love a good appetizer plate.

      Delete
  7. I had been careful being around folks, and seem to have caught a bug anyway. Drats! Soup and hot tea for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the odds are against staying well. It seems to be everywhere. I hope you're feeling better soon.

      Delete
  8. yes, you definitely want to stay healthy for your week off.
    My shopping is very minimal. I've decided that my son and his wife are just getting gift cards this year and I've already got things for my daughter and her husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working at the hospital makes me feel surrounded by sickness even more so. We've always kept Christmas gifting minimal. I prefer to give consumables or experiences versus 'stuff'.

      Delete
  9. I made jalapeno poppers just last night!
    Staying away from people is probably a good idea right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love jalapeno poppers. Yes, it seems as if everyone has something.

      Delete
  10. That free library might also be a good way for residents at the home to meet and chat with new people. What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. It will be my first choice for donating books.

      Delete
  11. I'm trying my best to remain illness free, but we're going to have workers over here for quite some time. It's going to be a challenge.

    I love the idea of a free library. It's a nice place to donate books, too,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday the big guy started not feeling well. Went to the clinic this morning and he has bronchitis. SO, I am avoiding him as much as possible. Stay safe yourself. The free library will be a nice place to donate books. Have a great week!

      Delete
  12. Lots of people are getting sick right now. I am trying to be diligent in keeping hands clean, distances and vitamin taking! We have a little library in our complex and I've donated a few books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to have a place so close to donate a few books. Stay well!!

      Delete
  13. I hope the big guy gets well soon. I feel the same as you do Lori. I don't want to see any stores until after the new year - and that's only for grocery shopping. I love that you have a library nearby to trade books. Such a good way to bless others with new reading material.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I really needed a reminder to get out my cookbooks and start planning our family Christmas party... Thank you! It seems like everyone has been touched in some way by all the sickness going around. I hope everyone is your home is healthy, or on the way to being healthy. I love your menu ideas, I struggle with cooking for two! A free library is such a great idea, I know that it will be so appreciated!! If I don't make it back... Merry Christmas to you and yours!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting out the cookbooks and making a plan. SO many are sick right now. The big guy is doing better and so far, I haven't caught anything. Fingers crossed. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!!

      Delete
  15. Well all I can say is, I am truly terrified of getting what is going around, but it hasn't stopped me from going to church and shopping and running whatever errands I need to run. I don't necessarily mind if I get sick in January but between now and New Years, ain't nobody (least of all me) got time for that! Too much going on. I hope you and the big guy stay cozy and healthy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still go where I need to also but am cautious. I also don't have time for that between now and NY. lol

      Delete