Pages

Thursday, July 20, 2023

5 Favorite - Salad dressings

We eat seasonal salads through out the year.  A good salad dressing brings out the flavor of the ingredients.  Here are my 5 favorites.  It doesn't take much time to whip these up and the flavors are amazing.  I stopped buying salad dressing at the store awhile ago.  Nothing wrong with some store bought brands, but please check the labels because many brands say "Contains bioengineered ingredients." 

Wafu (Japanese) Dressing

1 tsp. sesame seeds
2 Tbs. neutral oil-I use avocado oil
2 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce
2 Tbs. rice or white vinegar
2 tsp. grated onion
1 tsp. grated garlic
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. sesame oil (optional)

Combine ingredients in a lidded jar and shake to mix.  Store in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.

This is delicious on salads, fresh or grilled veggies.

Tahini-Lemon Dressing

1/2 Cup sesame tahini
3-5 Tbs. lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 clove garlic, grated
1 Tbs. olive oil
Pinch of salt
black pepper to taste
cayenne powder to taste
turmeric to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process.  Add small amount of water to reach desire consistency.  Store in a well sealed jar in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.

This dressing is wonderful on salads made with hearty greens like kale and cabbage.  I have used it as a dressing for coleslaw and it was tasty.  Also is good on cauliflower and summer salads. 

Honey Mustard Dressing

1/4 Cup mayo
1 Tbs. yellow or Dijon mustard, I've made it with both and I prefer the yellow mustard
1 Tbs. honey
1/2 tsp. lemon juice

Combine ingredients in a well sealed jar and shake to mix.  Store in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
This is good on salads, grilled veggies, and as a dipping sauce for things like chicken strips or grilled cauliflower.

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

1/2 Cup sour cream
1/4 to 1/2 cup buttermilk, depending on your desired consistency.  I like a medium consistency.
2 Tbs. mayo
1 Tbs. minced fresh parsley
1 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro or dill or the combination of the two
1 Tbs. minced fresh chives
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1 to 2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process.  Will keep for 5-7 days in the refrigerator.  

Ranch dressing is good on just about everything.  I even dip pizza in it from time to time.  

Creamy Italian Dressing

1/4 Cup mayo
2 Tbs. sour cream
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. fresh or dried oregano
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs. grated parmesan cheese

Whisk all of the ingredients together and store in a well sealed container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.  

Like Ranch, I love Creamy Italian on so many things.  Besides, salads, it makes a delicious sandwich or burger sauce.

22 comments:

  1. Thank you, Lori. I've made a few of those, but will be sure to try the rest.
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy them.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing these. I love a really good tahini dressing on some things. I will be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I love a good tahini dressing also. It's great with lamb and chicken too.

      Delete
  3. These all sound delicious. My favorite dressing is ranch but occasionally I do like to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep the dressing different or the big guy gets salad fatigue. lol

      Delete
  4. Thank you. I see 3 that are right up my alley!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. It's always good to switch things up a bit.

      Delete
  5. Salads call to me year round as well. What might you recommend as we get to fall for root vegetable salads? I think the wafu dressing, though nontraditional, sounds like it could be tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of them are good on fall veggies too. The wafu dressing is delicious.

      Delete
  6. I’m with you on not buying salad dressing. Full of sugar and salt. I normally do half olive oil and half vinegar (red, white wine, or balsamic) and keep it in a special bottle.I like the ingredients for your ranch dressing and will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrible what they put in the dressing. And what are bioengineered ingredients? You know if they had to put that on the label it must be bad. We do a lot of olive oil and vinegar as well.

      Delete
  7. Wow thank you so much Lori. I always loved Ranch dressing but I couldn't really get it here. When I was working in Geneva I could get it at the American store in town - but at at cost of about $8 for a very small bottle that would maybe do two salads. I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Ranch dressing in this area is SO popular, I never really thought about others not being able to find it. For $8 you could make a ton of it.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for posting this. I need to try that honey mustard one soon. I always keep ranch dressing in stock, and I love raspberry vinaigrette on my salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey mustard is one of my favorites. It's so good for salads and a great dipping sauce. I've had a raspberry vinaigrette that I used to love. It's been forever since I've had that.

      Delete
  9. What's a salad without a good dressing? I would probably like the honey mustard the best and the creamy Italian would be next in line. Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good dressing really does make the salad!

      Delete
  10. yes yes yes these came at the right time. I am itching for some new dressings. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good variety of dressing choices makes a big difference in avoiding salad fatigue.

      Delete
  11. Ranch dressing has never been a thing here in australia but it certainly sounds tasty and I bet we sell it now in the shops. I probably just haven't seen it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't popular in Florida either. When we moved here I quickly found out a lot of people put it on everything. lol It is tasty, especially home made.

      Delete