Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind: It's that time of year when I feel like I am constantly dehydrating, canning or freezing summers goodness to enjoy during the fall and winter.  The Ninja has been an amazing asset by dehydrating in about half the time it used to take me.  My herbs and veggies are all doing very well this year so we'll have all we need and then some to share.



Where I've been:  Tuesday we took Binx for his yearly wellness check. According to the vet he is 'perfect'.  Yes, he charmed both the vet and the tech with his shiny coat and sweet disposition.  Friday I only worked until 11 so we decided to do a bit of shopping and go to the library.  This weekend we've done a few things outside before the heatwave hits here this week.  

Where I'm going:  Other than work all week I have no appointments or plans so far other than projects around the house.

What I'm watching: I really can't remember much of anything I watched this week.

What I'm reading:  Family Tree by Susan Wiggs.  "A powerful, emotionally complex story of love and loss, heartbreak and healing, the pain of the past...and the promise of the future."  I loved it and every book of hers that I've read so far.  

What I'm eating: 
BLT's and zucchini 'fries'
BIG salad with a cheese and cilantro quesadilla
Our once-a-year beef hot dogs, Chicago style with potato chips 
LO Chili and cornbread muffin
Fried cod fish and chips
Moroccan lamb meatballs, zucchini "chips" and naan 
Saturday's brunch was tomato, basil and motz, one of my summertime favorites.



Tonight, I have bulgogi beef cooking to serve over rice

Who needs a good slap:  Well I am going to have to pass on this one because I did not watch any news this week, I also avoided all social media and did not encounter any rude or obnoxious people in the course of the week.  YAY!

What's making me smile:  This may be a silly, small reason to smile, but I am loving the new glass containers that I bought.  Especially for taking my lunch to work.  The dividers really keep things from sliding into each other and I love the weight of them.  I'm very happy that I got them.


I hope everyone is staying cool and has a very wonderful week ahead.  

23 comments:

  1. Meals sound delish and right up my alley! Gardens are so wonderful!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardens are the best. They are what makes summer for me. Wishing you a great week as well Cheryl.

      Delete
  2. Yeah! A whole week without encountering anyone who needs a slap. That's awesome. Every day I go to work I see at least one person that needs a good slap upside the head.
    I like that glass container. The ones that are divided like that are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a whole week, can you believe it. I mainly work by myself and do not have much contact with the public but there are times I see some pretty dumb stuff. I really do like the containers that I found. Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. What kind of Ninja do you have? I love that it is working well for you. It's wonderful to have kitchen tools that rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have helpers in the kitchen. have the Ninja Foodi 13 in 1. It is amazing. It dehydrates, air fries, toasts, you name it and best of all it flips up when not in use taking up minimal counter space. I did a blog post about it if you want to know more just type in Ninja Foodi in the search bar.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a wonderful tool. I have the Ninja Creami and I LOVE it. I've made dairy-free ice cream in many machines, this one though, is by far the best. Love, love, love it.

      Just ordered and got, using it now, my 3rd 3 qt mini electric pressure cooker. I love how small it is. Same thing, doens't take up a lot of space.

      Love drying stuff in our dehydrator though when we move, I'm itching to get a freeze drying machine. Oh my gosh, the fun!

      Delete
  4. Those glass containers do look nice. BLTs and zucchini fries sound great. For Big Salad Sunday tonight I made a Greek salad with cucumbers, chicken, tomatoes, roasted chickpeas, toasted pine nuts, Kalamata olives and feta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bijoux. They are really nice and all the food doesn't slide around in transit. Your salad sounds delicious!!

      Delete
  5. Hi, Lori, it's Patti from Daffodil Lane. I am signed in to my account, but I keep showing up as anonymous. Not sure why. Thank you for stopping by my brand new (only 5 posts so far) blog. Your visit to me enabled me to find you. Just last week I got those exact same glass containers for my husband's lunch. For over a decade, he had been using a plastic Bento Box, but it was no longer closing tightly. Since it was in need of replacement, I decided to go with glass. He loves it!

    I had to chuckle about your once a year hotdogs. That is about how often we eat hotdogs as well. In years past, we used to be very into Major League Baseball (Red Sox), and every year on opening day, we would eat hot dogs.

    Great news about your fur baby! Those little 4-legged babies sure steal our hearts, and we are always glad to know they are healthy.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patti. Thank you for stopping by. The glass containers really are very nice. Yes, we only eat 1 package of hot dogs a year. I buy the All Beef Nathans but they still aren't healthy food at all. I used to live in Ft. Myers Florida so I've seen many of BRS training camp games. Yes our fur buddies are special to us. Wishing you a great day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love tomatoes, basil and motz with just a drizzle of olive oil. It's so good. I did have a good week and thanks, yes I hope this one is too. Hope you're staying cool. Looks like your area has been pretty brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those glass containers really are brilliant, Lori. But then I love glass! However, my favorite recent purchase was a 60-piece (counting the lids, of course) set of sturdy plastic storage containers -- several sizes, of course. I had nothing but junk up in the cabinet to store food in (with the exception of many round pyrex dishes with lids) and was always digging through lids sliding around, never able to find the right one. All that is gone now and these are cool because they stack and several of the depths have the same size lid, and the lids stack neatly on top. It has changed my life! My whole cupboard is organized now and everything easy to reach. Because the holidays, and cooking holiday meals, are right around the corner! Kisses to Binx! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny! I redid all of my storage containers a couple of years ago too and it made a world of difference. Organized cabinets are a thing of beauty in my mind. Chaos is something I try to avoid. It's hard to believe that the holidays and holiday meals are right around the corner but you are right, they are. Binx had those ladies at the vet wrapped around his paw. It was funny.

      Delete
  9. your glass containers look the business Lori :) Yes indeed small things can make us very happy. keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the little things that I enjoy. I am spending as little time as possible outside in this heat and humidity.

      Delete
  10. I had a few divided containers I used to use to take my lunch to work. They are the bomb! The tomato basil motz looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have bought these sooner. They are the bomb! Tomato, basil and motz are one of my favorite combos.

      Delete
  11. I wish I lived close enough that you could share some of your herbs with me. It's been so hot here mine are not doing well. All your meals this week sound perfect, especially the BLT with zucchini fries. Yum! I have a zucchini in my fridge right now that I need to cook today. It's always a great week when no one needs a slap. That's rare! LOL I'm glad Binx is doing well too! Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would gladly share. BLT's are one of the best parts of summer to me. Don't you just love zucchini and how many different ways you can use it? Wishing you a great weekend as well!!

      Delete
  12. I read this as I feel like I am constantly dehydrating. Well for goodness sake keep up your fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it that, if you're going to have hot dogs only once a year, they're Chicago dogs!

    ReplyDelete