Wednesday, June 5, 2024

52 Recipes in 52 Weeks #10 Lamb Kofta Meatballs

One of my projects for 2024 is to try one new recipe each week for the year.  These will be chosen from all of the flagged pages in cookbooks that I have or from the file of 'need to try' recipes.  I will try new desserts, main dishes, side dishes and breads.

I got way behind in posting new recipes so I'm working on getting caught up.

This is an easy sheet pan dinner that is very versatile.  You can serve this in warm Naan or as a rice bowl. With lemon yogurt or tahini sauce. It's as delicious as it is beautiful.  This recipe comes from Recipe Eats Dinner cookbook.  There are so many wonderful recipes in this book you may be seeing a lot of them here.

For Koftas

grate 1/2 white or yellow onion

1 pound ground lamb
1/4 cup panko or bread crumbs
2 finely minced garlic cloves
2 tbsp. coriander/cilantro finely chopped

Kofta Spices
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. coriander
2 tsp. plain paprika or smoked
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 F
Place the Kofta ingredients and spices in a bowl.  Use your hand to combine thoroughly then roll 16 large-ish meatballs. Spread them out on a large tray.

Vegetables
1 large red pepper
1 large yellow pepper
1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
1 tbsp. EVOO
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper

Toss the vegetables with the oil, salt and pepper.  Scatter around the meatballs.

Toss a bit of EVOO on the meatballs.  Bake for 15 minutes then switch the oven to the grill/broiler on high and cook for 5 more minutes. 

Serve with a bit of chopped cilantro and a drizzle of tahini or yogurt sauce.

I highly recommend this recipe.  If you don't care for lamb it did say you could substitute ground beef.  You do want to make the meatballs a bit larger especially when using lamb to keep the meat from drying out.  We gave this a 10!  


                                                               Photo from Nagi's website.


18 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! Can't wait to hear about all of your new recipes. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds yummy. I’d probably use ground turkey. I’ve never seen ground lamb at my grocer. I love Middle Eastern food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. Ground turkey would work well. Here lamb is very popular so pretty easy to find.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow that sounds and looks delicious. I am definitely going to try this with the pound of ground lamb I have in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is it a relatively easy recipe, it is delicious.

      Delete
  4. Hi Lori~ I love lamb, but have such a hard time finding it here in Idaho! I'm not sure why, there are so many sheep farmers around. I guess they send it somewhere else. This recipe looks delicious!! I'm saving the recipe it to make it for Sunday dinner because my mouth is watering ;0) I might use ground elk, I think it would be a good substitute for lamb. Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people do not have access to lamb. It is very abundant in our area. I think the elk would work wonderfully to replace the lamb. I hope you do give it a try, it is very tasty.

      Delete
  5. It looks and sounds yummy. I have never had lamb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy lamb but I've heard it's hard to find some places.

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious! But we have a problem getting ground anything if it isn't beef (and I have no idea why)! As for your cicada story, I remember that in 1987 when I worked in DC. I was pregnant and the bloody things would land on your shoulders. It had to be seen to be believed - a nine month pregnant woman jumping up and down yelling "get it off me"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that you don't have much ground meat available. Do people just not really eat it much there? That is a funny but not funny story. I'm sure it was a sight. I was walking in to work the other day and one was zooming right at me and I'm sure security was laughing at my antics in the parking lot.

      Delete
  7. This looks really good. I haven't seen lamb in any of the stores around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. A lot of people don't have lamb in their area. It's abundant here and very affordable.

      Delete
  8. That looks like a great reason to dust off my KitchenAid mixer. It's been dormant for a few weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you need to show your KA some love.

      Delete