Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2022

Jet's Adventure

 I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that Jet wasn't eating much.  Well last weekend it got worse, and he was eating even less.  Monday I made an appointment to take him to the vet on Tuesday.  So Tuesday we loaded Jet in his carrier to take him.  He was NOT happy about this.  He is a cranky old cat that likes to spend his time at home. We arrived and the vet had hurt her back and we were going to have to reschedule for Wednesday.

Wednesday after work I picked up the big guy and Jet and we went back to the vet.  The good doctor examined him and all looked good except for his weight of course and the lump on the side of his throat that we could all see now that he had lost weight.  It turned out to be cyst and not a mass. A plan was formed that they would sedate Jet, do the blood work and x-rays and if all of that came out good they would remove the cyst.  With Jet being over 15 years old we knew it was possible that his blood work would not be good. So we home without him and prayed everything would turn out well.

Thursday morning the big guy and I went to the vet to hear that Jet's blood work and x-rays were perfect.  No cancer, no kidney problems, nothing and they would perform the surgery to remove the cyst that afternoon.  The vet asked if we wanted to visit with Jet which of course we did so they took us down to see him.  He perked up when he saw us but you could tell he was a little ticked off that we had left him at this strange place to be poked and prodded and violated by total strangers.  The big guy said he was surprised that he wasn't happier to see us.  I explained that dogs were like that.  Cat's hold a grudge.

At this point now the fear was anesthesia.  Would he make it out of the surgery?  Would they be able to get all of the cyst?  The good doctor called a little after two to tell me not only did Jet come around about 45 minutes after the surgery and they not only drained the cyst but were able to get the entire cap so we did not have to worry about it returning.  He explained that he put in a drain and wanted to keep him Thursday night and possibly Friday night depending on how he was doing.

Friday morning I got a call asking if I could come and visit Jet because he was very agitated and he wouldn't eat.  I left work, stopped by the house to get his bowl and a can of his favorite cat food and went to see him.  One of the vet techs took me down to see him and he hissed as soon as she opened the cage.  She told me he wouldn't let anyone near him.  I asked him if he was hungry and he perked up a slight bit.  As soon as I put the bowl of food in his cage he started eating.  She seemed surprised.  When I looked at the brown mush they had offered, I wasn't surprised he didn't want it.

I spent some time with him talking and petting him.  The vet came down and explained everything to me.  Jet was doing well but he felt that Jet would recover better at home and wanted to know if we could pick him up later in the day.  After answering all of my questions I told him and Jet that we would be back around 3 to pick him up.  

A little before 3 we arrived at the vet to break Jet out.  After paying, going over all of the instructions and making an appointment for a check up Monday they asked if we could go down with them to get him out of the cage and hold so they could unhook the catheter because he wouldn't let any of them near him.  Three vet techs were there with us and seemed shocked that the big guy just reached in and picked him up.  While they were wrapping the catheter, I learned that Jet had not been very polite.  Over his two day stay he bit, scratched and lunged at each and every one of them.  They all seemed scared to death of him.  Before the surgery I had to told Jet he was a fighter and he'd make it through this and I guess he took that literally. 

We opened his carrier and he gladly jumped in knowing he was going home.

After he made his round through the house making sure nothing has changed, he is eating, using the litter box and drinking water.  He's still weak and full of antibiotics, pain medication and lingering effects of the anesthesia but he is obviously glad to be home and hopefully will fully recover soon.  Monday the catheter comes out and then Thursday or Friday the drain comes out if all looks good.  A week later the stitches will be removed and hopefully by then Jet will start to forget all of this and be able to enjoy his days at home lounging and staring out the window watching the birds and the squirrels.  




14 comments:

  1. Poor Jet, but he was a fighter. Our dog is the devil at the vet or groomer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see Jet is on the mend, and oh boy he reminds me of Terri. She will put up a fight if she sees the pet carrier door open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We're hoping things get better each day. We can't let him even see his carrier or he'll freak out. We have to bring it out when he isn't looking and then quickly get him in. Cats are so funny.

      Delete
  3. What a tale!!!!

    So glad it all worked out quite perfectly.

    I'm sure he is just as glad to be home, as you are, to have him home and healthy.

    Pictures when he allows you to take some????

    🌲⛄🔥⛄🌲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a stressful week for us all. We're not out of the woods yet but every day is one step closer.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! What an ordeal!! So glad to hear Jet made it through the surgery and is recuperating at home! Is he pawing/playing with his drain? Do cats wear the same type of collar that a dog would to avoid playing with stitches? (I know nothing about cats; I've only had dogs). I hope everything goes well with his subsequent follow up visits and live can return back to normal for him and you all!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes it was/is quite an ordeal. They could not put on a collar since the drain and incision is right on his throat. So far he has not messed with it. I am requesting it be removed tomorrow at his appointment. It hasn't been draining much at all since Friday and I think he will recuperate faster when it is out.

      Delete
  5. Oh sweet kitty. We had an older cat that repeatedly got a huge cyst on his face. He died at 18. But getting that thing drained was a nightmare. I did it myself. Such a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet got the cap of the cyst so he said it would not come back. His drain hasn't had any drainage since Saturday morning so I'm hoping it can go tomorrow at his appointment.

      Delete
  6. Oh poor Jet, that was not a fun adventure at all! I'm sure it wasn't easy on you either Lori. I'm so glad your sweet little fighter is home when he can relax and recuperate. I sure hope he is all better soon. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. It hasn't been fun for any of us. I'm hoping each day gets a little better.

      Delete
  7. Oh my word Lori, such a trial! I'm so sorry but SO happy that Jet is home and recovering. As I read your saga I was reminded of taking our Javier (Chihuahua we had had for nearly seventeen years, his entire life) having to be put to sleep on April 11, 2016. What a horrible heartbreaking day that was. So a happy outcome from the vet facility is a VERY happy thing in my opinion. Jet sounds like a champion cat. You can tell him I said so. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! Jet is a fighter. Hopefully they will take the drain out today along with the catheter. That will make him feel so much better. It is so hard to let go of our pets. Especially when they've been with us for so long. I will be sure and let Jet know.

      Delete