Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2022

My Weekly W's

Can you believe we're heading into the last week of February?  It seems like I was just starting holiday and hibernation mode and now all of that is over.  The days are getting longer and the official start of Spring is less than a month away.  I'm continuing on my mission to slow down, be mindful and enjoy each moment.

What's top of my mind: Sprucing and purging the house.  I'm the type that goes through every closet, drawer, cabinet, etc. at least once a year.  I started this last week.  I don't like clutter and I don't like holding on to things that we don't use/need.  So far my linen closet and all the kitchen cabinets have been done.  It's such a good feeling letting go of stuff we don't want.  

Where I've been: Work, home, hairdresser and grocery store.  We didn't need much so I just picked up fresh veggies, fruit, milk and cheese. 

Where I'm going: Depending on the weather, I'd like to go to Firefly Grill next Saturday for lunch. Other than that, I'll just probably be going back and forth to work.

What I'm watching: The Many Saints of Newark.  I was a loyal Soprano fan and couldn't wait for the new episode every Sunday night.  Back then, it was about the only thing I watched on TV.  This movie didn't disappoint. 

What I'm reading: Plenty: A memoir of food and family by Hannah Howard.  So far, it's pretty interesting.

What I'm listening to: As I type this the news is playing in the background and the Russia/Ukraine situation is escalating. I don't usually watch mainstream news but I was curious what they are saying about this.

What I'm eating:

I made another batch of chicken, veggie egg rolls that we had with rice one night.  The rest were added to the freezer for a quick dinner or lunch.

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans.

When I made manicotti a couple of weeks ago I put one pan together uncooked to freeze.  So heating that up with a salad and garlic bread was a quick dinner.

I don't fry food very often.  I usually use the air fryer or oven fry but I was craving a 'real' fried chicken sandwich and it did not disappoint.  I made coleslaw and oven fries to go along with it.


BIG salad

Last night I made cheese ravioli. It takes time to make the ravioli and I didn't have any homemade sauce made up so I used a jar of Rao pasta sauce.  I like to keep a couple of jars on hand because that stuff is as close to homemade as you can get.



Who needs a good slap: I love my hairdresser and have been going to him for years.  I don't know what happened this time but I'm not liking my hair at all. I have very thick curly hair and if you cut it at an angle, it does not lay well.  Luckily my hair grows quickly.  I won't slap him but I give him a you know better WTH bud?

What I'm planning: When I finish this up I am going to make biscuits, eggs and bacon for brunch.  I need to wash the sheets, pay the bills and it's my mani pedi day.  Anything extra that gets done will be a bonus.

What's making me smile: This blanket brought tears but a smile as well.  I miss my green-eyed boy.


I hope everyone is doing well and has a fun filled productive week.


18 comments:

  1. I was planning to make brunch but Hubs was up early, made himself and omelette, so now I'll just have a bowl of instant oats later! I need a top to bottom purge if the linen closets and the closet in spare room. Likely I'll take an odd vacation day here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one of those oddballs that enjoys cleaning, purging and organizing. I always have. I love opening a closet or drawer and seeing a nice clean organized space.

      Delete
  2. I liked the cats too
    I am glad to see the end of February for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For February it's been pretty sunny here which was very welcome.

      Delete
  3. I have to do a complete declutter every year too. I'm always amazed to find more to get rid of considering I rarely bring anything that isn't consumable into the house anymore. Your meals look and sound delicious as always. I'll have to try that pasta sauce. I normally make a big pot of homemade and then freeze in smaller containers but it would be nice to have something good in the pantry for those quick meals. The blanket is beautiful but it sure brought tears to my eyes too Lori - Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a big hug Martha! I rarely shop anymore either. I think it just comes down to finally being ready to let some things go. I usually have homemade in the freezer too but didn't this time. When you look at the ingredient list on Rao's you'll know it's the good stuff.
      The picture doesn't do the blanket justice. His green eyes really pop out.
      Enjoy your Sunday!!

      Delete
  4. Purging! Excellent plan!

    The Ukraine situation.... Remember the old film "Wag The Dog"? Sitting President has bad PR situation. So he hires some sort of a producer, to invent a false War. To distract Citizens from his bad PR situation. (Presently...Terrible ratings... Mask, Vax, and other Mandates... INFLATION... etc.)

    Think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Your food looks delicious! I would love to hear more about the egg rolls! And I am like you. I so enjoy the months of January, February, and early March as my time to snuggle in be cozy! Now as I notice the days getting a bit longer, I feel the urge to start organizing and purging! Have a cozy week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo. If you type in eggrolls in the search bar my recipe will come up. I try to live by the seasons and yes, it is time to start preparing for Spring.
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  6. No, I can't believe February is wrapping up! It has gone by so fast! That's great you do a yearly purge! I think that helps not accumulate a lot of stuff. We used to move yearly (or so it seemed) and I would always purge before we did so to avoid moving things we didn't need. We've been here for 6 years so it might be time to go through things. Trouble is I am married to a would be hoarder and its hard at times for him to let things go :)

    I looked up that Firefly Grill and assuming it is the one I found, it looked like a nice place for lunch! Sounds like a great thing to plan ahead and look forward to!

    Your food always looks so good when you have pictures of it. And most of the time when I'm reading blogs its before a meal and I'm hungry, as is the case now, so everything looks delicious!

    I get you about hair cuts. I don't have curly hair but thick and it is hard to cut at times and get a good cut. Great that your hair grows out quick!

    It is interesting to see what is going to be happening in Ukraine. I hope it doesn't go to war.

    Such a cute blanket of Jet. He will be missed for a very long time!

    Have a good week ahead!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Betty. Yes, Jet will be missed for a very long time. My husband is a paper hoarder, and it drives me crazy!!
    Firefly Grill in Effingham Illinois is where we go and it is a wonderful place to eat. We really enjoy it.
    I hope you have a wonderful week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that blanket!

    I like the longer days, but my sinuses do not like the allergies that come with this time of year. I've been okay so far, but I know there will be a time when I'll be popping Claritin like candy.

    I hope you have a good week this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nice? We love it.

      Allergies are the worse. I hope you have a wonderful week my friend.

      Delete
  9. Awwww the blanket is beautiful, Lori! Precious Jet. Wow that fried chicken sandwich with oven fries looks good! I don't do that purging thing often enough; I need to get on the ball. Have a great week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken sandwich really hit the spot. I don't fry anything very often and it was yummy. Have a great week Jenny!

      Delete
  10. Oh, your kitty, I am so sorry. This has to be very hard. Your food always looks like a professional made it and shot the pictures. The blankie is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. Yes the blanket will be treasured.

      Delete