Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2022

Naan

 It is amazing to me how scratch made food is so much less expensive and tastes so much better than any store-bought items.  

A good brand of Naan is a little over 3.00 for two and they do not taste anything like homemade.

I work with a number of people from different parts of India and Ethiopia, and they gave me two thumbs up the first time I brought them for lunch.  So that makes me feel good.


1 1/2 Cup warm water
2 tsp. yeast
1 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 Cups flour

Add first three ingredients and let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is bubbly
Add salt to flour and pour in wet ingredients
Stir until combined and then dump out onto a flour coated surface to knead for about 3 minutes

Let rest for at least 1 hour

Cut into 8 equal pieces and roll out.

In a large cast iron skillet cook each one on medium high for about 1 to 1.5 minutes per side.

These do also freeze very well.  

14 comments:

  1. Interesting... But I have never used yeast.<--Too *chicken* I guess. Plus, I have to eat Gluten Free.

    So happy to see a post here. The pain of your loss will not go away, for some time. But good to see you trying to get back into your pattern.

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a couple days to wallow. It's been sad not having him here. But I have to look at the good 15 years we had with him and be thankful for that.

      Delete
  2. I made naan once with yogurt. They were good, but I think I messed up a bit. I'll buy at Trader Joe's or Aldi, but I'm sure yours are so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tasty. I've seen the recipes with yogurt but I'm happy with this one.

      Delete
  3. Seriously? I never would have thought it would be so easy. I can't believe I've never thought to look up a recipe. Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely going to make some this week!

    I hope you are doing ok Lori. I know this had to be a difficult week to get through. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha! We're doing OK. Yes Naan is so easy to make and so good. Let me know when you make it.

      Delete
  4. You know, I've never had Naan, store bought or homemade. I need to change that and try it sometime. I do like this recipe. We've only baked once with yeast 15 years ago but we did okay with it (by we I mean my hubby, he's the cook/baker in the family). So maybe we'll try our luck again and try making naan. Take care of yourself!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be afraid of yeast. It is easier than they make it out to be. Thank you and enjoy your Sunday!!

      Delete
  5. Naan never makes the freezer as it is always ate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to do something like this, but I don't have the counter space right now.

    ReplyDelete