Pages

Friday, September 30, 2022

Thinking Back

Some of you know the big guy and I lived in Ft. Myers for over 20 years.  We loved it there but wanted a slower paced life closer to our family, otherwise we would have never left.

We of course have a lot of friends still living there, many of whom we still haven't heard from.  I'm hoping and praying it is because of loss of cell service and power.  The ones we have heard from are physically safe but most have lost everything.  Homes, vehicles, personal belongings, businesses and jobs.  ALL GONE!  They all are of course happy they are safe but this is going to take a huge toll on many.  Some will not rebuild in Florida but the ones that do stay have years of work ahead of them.  

Hurricane Charley in 2004 was the worst we lived through and it was nothing in comparison to what damage Ian did.

Ft. Myers, Cape Coral and Sanibel are some of the most beautiful places in the US and it now makes me terribly sad that people will not be able to see what I was used to seeing.  Thomas Edison's home seems to have faired ok from what I've heard, but there are many of the trees and plants on the estate that Thomas Edison planted himself that are now just gone.  McGregor Blvd. that leads from downtown FM to FM Beach was lined with tall gorgeous palm trees that were all lit up every year for Christmas.  Many of them fell so that is something you will not see again. FM Beach is unrecognizable.  The colorful restaurants, shops and homes are gone.  Time Square is destitute.  I used to love going over the bridge and getting to the middle point where you could see the entire colorful square with miles and miles of gulf behind.  That will never look the same. There is only one way in to Sanibel and Pine Island and those causeways are washed out. While I know the area will be rebuilt, it never will be quite the same.  Some landmarks are forever gone.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire community of Lee County and to everyone that has been affected by this horrible hurricane.




20 comments:

  1. I didn't know you lived in that part of the state. I'm sorry to see this happen, and I really wish I had the right words to say anything further about it. I was in the insurance industry, and I know firsthand how long it takes for people to recover from this or a wildfire. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we lived in Ft. Myers. The saddest part is a lot of people there couldn't/didn't get flood insurance if they didn't live in a 'flood zone'. FEMA may be great but it takes SO long to get anything. This is going to be a very LONG recovery.

      Delete
  2. So many losses of wonderful memories for you and the Big Guy, Lori. I just can't imagine it all with the loss of property and loss of life etc. I do remember driving through areas affected by wildfires in Southern California and just being overwhelmed with the destruction of it all. It takes great resolve to pick up the pieces and rebuild. I pray for that and so much more.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even begin to wrap my head around it. Just so much destruction. Right now everyone seems happy to be safe but in a bit of shock. When it sets in just how long and difficult this recovery will be I think many will decide to leave.

      Delete
  3. So very sad. Prayers go out to everyone who was affected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry, Lori. I'm sure your heart is hurting for your family and friends there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. -sigh-

    Now, for October Eves.
    🍁 🌻 πŸ‚ 🌰 πŸ‚ 🌻 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend that lived in Cape Coral and I spent a few days with her about 5 years ago. It is a beautiful area and I'm saddened by what it looks like now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it heart breaking to see the devastation? Such beauty being wiped out is so sad.

      Delete
  7. We have been watching the coverage and it is so devastating. Praying for all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cousin lives in Cape Coral and over the years we have visited her, Fort Myers, and Sanibel. The devastation is heartbreaking. My cousin says it looks like a war zone. She and her family did well. Her house and cars made it through with just the loss of her lanai and backyard destroyed but she feels lucky. 5 years ago a tornado destroyed her entire house in Cape Coral. Anyway our hearts go out to the many who did not fare so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad she made it through with minimal damage. I've heard it looks like a war zone. It's sad because it was such a beautiful area.

      Delete
  9. So sad. We’ve always hoped to visit Sanibel some day. You’re right; it will never be the same for those who lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you never got to visit before. Sanibel and the entire area was beautiful. The old Florida charm is gone. It will be rebuilt but it will never be the same.

      Delete
  10. We have. Some had a lot of flood damage, some lost vehicles but all are physically safe which is a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Much of what you have said is what had Brittany in such an emotional state over the past few weeks. She grew up in Fort Myers/Cape Coral and she's so sad that it will never be the same. Such a beautiful place! But this is why happy memories are so important! Thank God you have them. But it's heartbreaking. I hope your friends are okay. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand how Brittany is feeling. That area had a lot of old Florida charm and that can never be rebuilt. It's just heartbreaking for me. I hope you can convince her to write a post about what she experienced when she went to help her Grandparents. I'd probably cry all the way through it but I would still love to read her thoughts.

      Delete